Long time listener, First time caller

W3re4llM4d

Location (City and/or State)
Whittier California
Hey there ladies, gents, and non-binaries my name is Cole and I'll try not to offend anyone but I make no promises. I have 2 baby sulcatas Drax hatched in mid - late August 2019 and Baby Yoda hatched mid july - early August 2019. They are about the same size B.Y being bigger by about 1/2inch and 20 grams-ish they share two enclosures one inside for night time and cold/rainy days the other outside to get all the natural socal sun

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Welcome! Yeah, more Sullys in the Forum.

Hopefully you have found the Sully care sheet (really the bible).

Upload some pix!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey there ladies, gents, and non-binaries my name is Cole and I'll try not to offend anyone but I make no promises. I have 2 baby sulcatas Drax hatched in mid - late August 2019 and Baby Yoda hatched mid july - early August 2019. They are about the same size B.Y being bigger by about 1/2inch and 20 grams-ish they share two enclosures one inside for night time and cold/rainy days the other outside to get all the natural socal sun
Hello and welcome!

Tortoises should never live in pairs. They each need their own spaces, or add another one or two so you don't have a pair. We have a million threads on this topic if you want to research it more.

Outdoors all day is actually not good for babies. I've been doing growth and housing experiments for over a decade now, and too much outside time is not good, even here in our climate. Babies do better when kept mostly inside in a warm, humid, closed chamber with an hour or two of sunning time a few times per week. As they get larger, more and more outside time is good, but not as little babies. I move them outside full time with a heated night box when they reach about 8-10". For well started, well hydrated babies, this is usually about a year to a year and a half. For dry started babies, it might take two or three years to reach this size.

Here is all the sulcata info in one place:

Questions and conversation are welcome.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and welcome!

Tortoises should never live in pairs. They each need their own spaces, or add another one or two so you don't have a pair. We have a million threads on this topic if you want to research it more.

Outdoors all day is actually not good for babies. I've been doing growth and housing experiments for over a decade now, and too much outside time is not good, even here in our climate. Babies do better when kept mostly inside in a warm, humid, closed chamber with an hour or two of sunning time a few times per week. As they get larger, more and more outside time is good, but not as little babies. I move them outside full time with a heated night box when they reach about 8-10". For well started, well hydrated babies, this is usually about a year to a year and a half. For dry started babies, it might take two or three years to reach this size.

Here is all the sulcata info in one place:

Questions and conversation are welcome.
I second everything Tom said. Also read the threads he linked and make changes ASAP!

W3re4llM4d

Whittier California
Thank you all for the kind words and links I have read them about 6 months ago when first starting my builds/setups. I'm a firm believer in planting all of my enclosures so keeping humidity in my substrate is always a top priority here in southern California. I understand how ecosystems work and try to maintain a healthy environment for all of my animals. Yes their indoor enclosure could be a little bigger at 3.5ftx5ft but they don't spend much time there. Their outdoor enclosure is much larger at 6ftx8ft mostly covered and is kept MOIST by an auto watering system 5mins 3x/day. There are 3 above substrate hides and 3 artificial burrows in the substrate all large enough for up to an 8 inch tort but most of that space has moss for humidity control at the time. A.T.C grazing seed mix is what I have both enclosures planted with. As far as my pair goes they will be a trio before too long I've just been trying to get all 3 of them from different sources so if I do end up with a breedable group they aren't being inbred.