long and narrow acceptable for outdoor encloure?

mylittlecholla

Location (City and/or State)
Fillmore, California
We're discussing plans to build a new, enlarged outdoor enclosure. Problem: due to the dimensions of our back and side yards, it looks like we might have to do an 18' by 4' enclosure. Could expand length to 21 feet if removed a large bush, but it would still be only 4 ft wide.

Another possibility: an. 10' by 12'. Problem is it's under two apricot trees, which supply nice mixture of sun and shade, but I've read that apricot leaves and fruit are bad for torts.

If my husband would give up his vegetable garden, we'd have a nice wide space for Cholla. But hubby's not ready to give up raising his own veggies, and I can't say I blame him. Besides Cholla likes his zuccchini leaves and blooms, not to mention the grapevine.

Anyway, I love some advice about the two possibilities I mentioned above.

Thanks in advance!

Hamiltondood

Richmond, Texas
i think it'd be great.
it'd be the same as an 8x4 enclosure, just longer. does this make sense?
fruit isn't good for most tortoises, so unless you want to pick up a bunch of apricots, i don't think it's worth it..

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
The 10 x 12 is certainly more conventional, but I think the 18x4 would be fine. I've seen lots of pictures with the enclosure along a side wall, and they are about that width.

Just plan on bushes, boulders, and hills along the length to make sight barriers and obstacles to go around.

Skip K

Virginia
Our newest enclosure is 5’x20’. Except for a little morning activity, when fed or they want a quick soak or drink...the torts that use this enclosure have their favorite spots and just hang out for most of the day.

mylittlecholla

Fillmore, California
Thanks for the reassuring reply!

The bush doesn't have to come out, but it's so large it will be hard to build around it. It's pretty hardy, so it would probably survive a drastic pruning, which is what we'll have to do to put the wall in place.

pawsplus

Nashville, TN
Thanks for the reassuring reply!

The bush doesn't have to come out, but it's so large it will be hard to build around it. It's pretty hardy, so it would probably survive a drastic pruning, which is what we'll have to do to put the wall in place.
I would leave the bush. Your tort will appreciate the cover.

Relic

Here
The 18' X 4' appeals to me more than the 10' X 12' because as you monitor the conditions in the pen and the status of the tort(s), it will be so much easier when you can walk along the long edge and never be further than 4 feet from the other edge. Depending on wall height, you may be able to reach most of the pen from the outside, for routine maintenance, feeding, etc. And that bush? I'd give it a serious prune to make it manageable for wall construction and leave it - it's always easier to maintain an already established plant than new ones...good luck, have fun, and post pictures.

mylittlecholla

Fillmore, California
The 18' X 4' appeals to me more than the 10' X 12' because as you monitor the conditions in the pen and the status of the tort(s), it will be so much easier when you can walk along the long edge and never be further than 4 feet from the other edge. Depending on wall height, you may be able to reach most of the pen from the outside, for routine maintenance, feeding, etc. And that bush? I'd give it a serious prune to make it manageable for wall construction and leave it - it's always easier to maintain an already established plant than new ones...good luck, have fun, and post pictures.