Lonesome George's Death

Status
Not open for further replies.

kurmaraja12

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Belleville, IL
RE: Sad News: Lonesome George Passes

Oh George! This is crazy cause I signed up for a study abroad to the Galapagos this month but I couldnt go because I had to take a math class over. I planned on going to see George! I would have been there this week...

jason g.

5 Year Member
RE: Sad news, Lonesome George has died at 100

Sad day: (

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
RE: Sad News: Lonesome George Passes

...and yet another spieces takes the Final Enbraces of Mother Earth.... :'(

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
such a tragedy yet part of a movement to make humans aware that we really do need to do that little extra mile in conservation efforts to uphold our beloved mother natures creations. A tragedy that will always be remembered in my heart.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
tortadise said:
such a tragedy yet part of a movement to make humans aware that we really do need to do that little extra mile in conservation efforts to uphold our beloved mother natures creations. A tragedy that will always be remembered in my heart.

I agree :(

tami

5 Year Member
Very sad story. RIP George.. I wish we as humans could have been better caretakers for this planet... So many species gone!

llaperle

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
I was lucky enough to meet Lonesome George while in The Galapagos in 2009. I have followed his story since then and am so sad to hear of his passing.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
RE: Sad sad day!

Your the third one to post about him. It is sad:(. However, I am glad it was about him and not your tort.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
RE: Sad sad day!

wellington said:
Your the third one to post about him. It is sad:(. However, I am glad it was about him and not your tort.

Me too,although during these past few months whilst ive been away from the forum i have lost one, and rescued others and rehomed them.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
This is truly heartbreaking news. Lonesome George (calling him "George" won't do him justice) was more than the last Pinta tortoise. He was the symbol of conservation. A solitary emblem for efforts of humanity struggling to salvage what remains of the natural world. His death should be a poignant reminder of the damage humans have meted out to the natural world. Something that must be remembered if the past mistakes of humanity are not to be repeated (though this is far from certain). I was hoping one day to see George; to feel the inspiration he places in the hearts of those who were fortunate enough to see him. But that dream will never be reality now.

One subspecies is gone. Let's hope what remains of this wounded world don't have their fates and George's tied as one.

Status
Not open for further replies.