Lonesome George, by Henry Nicholls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
"Lonesome George, The Life and Loves of a Conservation Icon." By Henry Nicholls. McMillans Science, 2006. 231 pages with B&W photos, diagrams, maps.

GREAT book! I know that there are other sides to George's complicated story, but let's face it- no one can possibly write a perfect book on any specific issue.

This is the story of the saddest, loneliest animal on Earth, and Nicholls manages to weave in dozens of other stories as well. He uses other animals and situations to illustrate each point he makes- and most of these stories are fascinating in their own right.

"Why don't we just clone him?" is answered, as is artificial insemination, relocation, the odds of finding a decent DNA match, and options we laypeople have not even thought of.

The general history of people and animals on the Galapagos are discussed as well, including recent events. Did you know that poverty-stricken fishermen on the area have threatened to kill George? I didn't.

It is a quick read, that breaks up nicely if you cannot sit and do it all at once.

Even of tortoises were not the main focus, I think I would recommend this book on this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.