Location of hide?

ISU

Location (City and/or State)
South Korea
I brought the leopard about four weeks ago. Thanks to all of you, I am very grateful for getting a lot of good information.

The warm side maintains a temperature of 90f and a humidity of 80%. She always sleeps only on the warm side and never goes to the cool side.

(Korean forums always require ventilation, and the gap between warm and cool should be wide. But I read here and tried to increase the humidity. So now the cool side is also warm about 85f)

It is recommended that the hide be located on the cool side in the forums that I see often. Many people say that if placed on warm side, the young tort may not wake up.

I wonder if this is true. Is there no problem if my tortoiseside stays at warm side?

The reason why I thought so is in the picture. She seems to have gone into the ground. I wonder if I should move the hide on the cool side

20200307_140828.jpg20200307_140350.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
For a leopard tortoise in a closed chamber, the whole enclosure should have a minimum ambient of 80, so it doesn't matter where you put the hide.

ISU

South Korea
For a leopard tortoise in a closed chamber, the whole enclosure should have a minimum ambient of 80, so it doesn't matter where you put the hide.
Thank u for reply! Then would it be better to keep her where she always sleeps? She takes a lot of naps, and I think she wants to avoid the light.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank u for reply! Then would it be better to keep her where she always sleeps? She takes a lot of naps, and I think she wants to avoid the light.
I like to do multiple hides for them. Is that an option?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Just as @Yvonne G has shown, get some plants in the enclosure! A young tortoise would never live in such a barren place in nature. The are hidden in dense grasses or bushes. A tortoise will act much better, grow better, and thrive if it has a natural place to feel secure. A tortoise that cannot ever find a place to feel secure is always under low-grade stress.

There are 13 baby stars in here...
IMG_0823.JPG

A spider tortoise in here....

IMG_0102(1).jpg

Can you find the yearling star tortoises in here? Just a view of 1/2 the enclosure...

IMG_0101(1).jpg

Here's where the young Galapagos like to stay... This is just 1/2 of the enclosure in the picture.

IMG_0100(1).jpg

You will be amazed at how much better your tortoise will do if given a truly natural environment like THEY would choose if given a chance!!!

ISU

South Korea
Just as @Yvonne G has shown, get some plants in the enclosure! A young tortoise would never live in such a barren place in nature. The are hidden in dense grasses or bushes. A tortoise will act much better, grow better, and thrive if it has a natural place to feel secure. A tortoise that cannot ever find a place to feel secure is always under low-grade stress.

View attachment 287526

View attachment 287527

Can you find the yearling star tortoises in here? Just a view of 1/2 the enclosure...

View attachment 287528

Here's where the young Galapagos like to stay... This is just 1/2 of the enclosure in the picture.

View attachment 287529

You will be amazed at how much better your tortoise will do if given a truly natural environment like THEY would choose if given a chance!!!
So amazing! I have so many things to learn. Thanks for ur reply

Melissacoop

Pembroke Pines, FL

View attachment 287526

View attachment 287527

View attachment 287528

View attachment 287529

What kind of plant is that vine type with the green/yellow leaves??
It looks like the same thing I have in my backyard that says toxic on Tortoise Table??

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
What kind of plant is that vine type with the green/yellow leaves??
It looks like the same thing I have in my backyard that says toxic on Tortoise Table??
That is a pothos ivy.

Yes, the tortoise table lists plants in its family as no feed. They are very conservative and only go off published lists of ANY reports of toxicity of any type. The issue here they refer to is raphides, which can create irritation in the skin and mouth to mammals. However, tortoises are immune to this effect and readily eat plants with raphides.

Kent
I tried two hides but they always went back to the same one, but i do regular change the position of the hide and where it is in the enclosure.