Local Tropical Fruits

Juan20669

Location (City and/or State)
Panama
Hey guys im from panama in central america there are alot of native tropical fruits that i can't find in any tortoise forum if they are ok to feed.

Attachments

• 113462866-mangosteen-and-papaya-ambarella-fruit-set-vector.jpg
    113462866-mangosteen-and-papaya-ambarella-fruit-set-vector.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 23

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Redfoot love fruit and they're one of the only tortoise species that can actually eat it.
It can be up to 60% of the diet during the summer.
Feed it any fruit that you can eat yourself except number 8 if that is a CASHEW APPLE.
CASHEW APPLEs have a numbing affect. I don't know if that makes them dangerous to a tortoise. But that's why I've never fed any.
Also, number 5 looks like DRAGON FRUIT. My Redfoot aren't fond of it. But you can try it yourself.
Most Redfoot aren't very picky eaters.

Juan20669

Panama
yes i'm aware of the "numbing effect"as you call it, I have a cashew apple tree i eat them often. i have never feed it to my tortoise for that reason too. cashew apples and red foots are both native to my country so i can only assume they consume it in the wild, but better safe than sorry is my mentality.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
yes i'm aware of the "numbing effect"as you call it, I have a cashew apple tree i eat them often. i have never feed it to my tortoise for that reason too. cashew apples and red foots are both native to my country so i can only assume they consume it in the wild, but better safe than sorry is my mentality.
Here in south Florida, we have many, if not all of the same fruits.
Don't hesitate to offer them to your Redfoot.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi and welcome to this site, Juan! I'm in Jamaica and I give my tortoise any of our local fruit too including mango and pawpaw (papaya) and guava, which they love.