local sacramento person with a hibiscus plant

Status
Not open for further replies.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento
So every one is talking about there tortoise eating a hibiscus flower or leaves, not sure.....but there out of season..any one local have some i can try with my baby leo?

I am over in the east sac area and after this icky weather i would be willing to meet up at a public place or you home...

I can trade some mazuri or cash for a sample....

I called the nursery's and florist and so far all of them said not till april

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
yea i pull them off all the time. i find them growing at stores outside on the side. they make really pretty big plants to provide cover, so there are a million flowers all the time. so i just pull them off, wash them, then feed them to my torts.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
Follow my hubbys job... He builds fencing and has for 13 yrs with the same company, they opened a new yard in sacramento and he was given the oppurtunity to step up in his position if we moved up here. So they paid for it and we moved..been here for 2 yrs now!

The funny thing is, he now is working in Monterey! So he travels alot!!!

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
I kind of miss it... BUt the truth is, Since I am from Kentucky this feels more like home up here...

Village Nursery in Orange has a store up here about 5 miles from me and they are shipping me a plant for 18.99!!!

Thanks for the tip they are down there

turtlemom

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Berthoud, Colorado
We live in northern Colorado and last summer I purchased a small hibiscus tree from Walmart, I think. It bloomed all summer long, beautiful salmon-colored flowers. I kept it on the porch and never did dig a hole and plant it in the ground since I don't think hibiscus plants can survive our winters and grow back in the spring. Last fall, when the weather turned cold, I brought the hibiscus tree into the house. It continued to bloom indoors and right now it's got about 10 new buds on it . . . . the torts are patiently waiting!

Maybe you could buy a plant and keep it inside?

Donna

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
turtlemom said:
We live in northern Colorado and last summer I purchased a small hibiscus tree from Walmart, I think. It bloomed all summer long, beautiful salmon-colored flowers. I kept it on the porch and never did dig a hole and plant it in the ground since I don't think hibiscus plants can survive our winters and grow back in the spring. Last fall, when the weather turned cold, I brought the hibiscus tree into the house. It continued to bloom indoors and right now it's got about 10 new buds on it . . . . the torts are patiently waiting!

Maybe you could buy a plant and keep it inside?

Donna

There "out of season" here but in Southern cali they arent...

There is a nursery that will ship one from there so cal store to the one close to me!! it will be after this storm but thats better than waiting till April!

jblayza

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
I find them at my local grocery store. They come in a bag and are dried up, used to make tea. I simply soak a couple til they soften up, then chop em and mix with spring mix. The label says there are no additives or preservatives, just plain dried up hibiscus petals.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
really, dried at the store huh?

Well i posted an add on Craigslist and a local nursery got a hold of me and said they have some.

So i will pick that one up but i will sure check into the dried ones as well

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Careful getting them straight straight of a nursery. They are usually covered with pesticides. Any bug keeper will confirm this for you. Even if the nursery where you buy them claims to use no pesticides its nearly guaranteed that their supplier does.

spikethebest said:
i will include some hibicius flowers with your mazuri order. they grow like crazy down here!

What?! I can't get them to survive down here for nothin'. They either cook in the summer at 118 degrees or they freeze in the winter at 18 degrees. I must be doing something wrong. I tried about a half a dozen times in various locations before giving up. My mom lives down near LAX and the ones I planted there do great. She brings them up to me when she comes to visit her grand daughter. Have you ever tried the blue hibiscus? Different, but similar species. We gotta get together so you can show me you get them to live... and maybe bring some of that mazuri too.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
terracolson said:
spike is in the lax area
Actually, he's a little north of there, about ten minutes from me. That's going to make it very easy to get some Mazuri:D.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Just a word of warning if they arrive without some little white bugs, they were most likely sprayed with something. I get mad if I pay more than 5 bucks for a hibiscus around here.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
dmmj said:
Just a word of warning if they arrive without some little white bugs, they were most likely sprayed with something. I get mad if I pay more than 5 bucks for a hibiscus around here.

I am going to check them out today... so look for little white bugs huh?

i can do that!!

Status
Not open for further replies.