Local Ad - Who can ID these two? (new title - In Need Of Rehab Advice!)

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
She's probably never had an earthworm or other live food before. I'm not saying you should go that direction, but IF you did, she would probably need it cut into smaller pieces so it doesn't slap her in the face when she tries to eat it. My young Gulfie readily uses her front feet to help wrangle and subdue any food that tries to escape or fight back. She will often hold it down or pull at it with one foot while she tries to bite off a piece of a red wiggler or superworm.

poor worms ?....?

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
I agree on the the larger one being a Gulf Coast (Terrapene carolina major) and the smaller being an ornate (Terrapene (mexicana) ornata). With a high humidity environment and regular soaks, some of that dry, crusty, knobby skin will slough off in favor of more healthy skin in time.

wanderlust

Northern Utah
When we have dry skin we use topicals to help hydrate and moisten. I wonder if there's anything you can put on those poor, dry feet to help moisten and lubricate them. How about cold pressed coconut oil? Maybe warm up the oil, dab it on with a Q-tip, allow it to soak in, then pat dry with an absorbent cloth???????

That's exactly what I did last night and today. :) It seems to be helping. The qtip helps me get into places since she's almost always closed up.

wanderlust

Northern Utah
OMG!!!!!!
What a difference!!!!!!
They look SOOOOOO much better!!!!
You are wonderful!!!! Thank you for taking care of these guys....
Now..... on to fixing some of their ...well....
their .... ouches????..??

What until you see them today! Other and the shell damage, the little ornate is looking really good! The gulfie female is looking a bit better, too. :)

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
What until you see them today! Other and the shell damage, the little ornate is looking really good! The gulfie female is looking a bit better, too. :)

I wanna see!!!
I wanna see!!!!! ????????

wanderlust

Northern Utah
You guys! Look at her! The old shed has really started coming off the last couple days and I can see fresh scales! I’ve continued to soak her at least once daily, gently brush her with a toothbrush, massage her skin with coconut oil. She’s out of her shell so much more, peeing all the time (just started 2 days ago), and today she was getting annoyed with me and tried to bite me which I take as a very good sign she’s feeling so much better!

IMG_9145.jpgIMG_9141.jpg

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
You guys! Look at her! The old shed has really started coming off the last couple days and I can see fresh scales! I’ve continued to soak her at least once daily, gently brush her with a toothbrush, massage her skin with coconut oil. She’s out of her shell so much more, peeing all the time (just started 2 days ago), and today she was getting annoyed with me and tried to bite me which I take as a very good sign she’s feeling so much better!

View attachment 302926View attachment 302927

omg!!!! She looks GREAT! (Compared to..)
Wow you are doing a fantastic job!!!!
Well done my friend! Keep it up!
But now you know to watch out for your fingers. ??
Sooo happy to see she is coming along so well in the short time you’ve had her.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I am so happy to see her in such better condition. I'm going to quietly admit that I might have gotten a teensy bit watery eyed when I saw the pics you posted yesterday. She really is looking that much better. :)

I'm proud of you.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest

View attachment 302926View attachment 302927
I'm thinkin this one is an Eastern, not T. ornata ornata