LLL Reptile

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Bodfish
I just bought 2 sulcata hatchlings (1 split scute and 1 normal) and 2 leopard tortoise hatchlings from LLL Reptile. I bought them on Wednesday they where shipped on Thursday and I received them on Friday. (I chose them mainly because of the price and the customer service when I spoke to them) I have all the babies set up. Perfect temperature and perfect humidity. Humid hides and uv even though they will be getting outside time almost daily. They where in perfect condition when they showed up. Not 20 minutes after they arrived and got into their new enclosure did they start eating and drinking everything in sight. They have been very active. They had a soak right before bed. As it’s only been two days I cannot say if they are perfect tortoises but they do really seem to be very healthy so far. They have all had very healthy appetites and poops are solid and healthy looking. I’m excited to see each of these beautiful creatures grow. I wanted to say thanks to LLL REPTILES as in my eyes they provided healthy animals, very fast service and great customer service.
158F0CAD-7DB4-46F9-B6E3-243ABFD45644.jpeg D7FA6E1B-75B9-491F-821B-F8A4052EEC35.jpeg 9E4EF85A-E768-40D5-8B1A-34F125B4F983.jpeg 5228DF79-4356-4260-B66A-411DDE759CBD.jpeg B1517E5E-DB40-4841-AEE8-A552BE3DD97E.jpeg 17AB8DA1-4A75-4EC1-BED6-E0A28A5D4031.jpeg E62F1D7D-3F0A-43C8-A4AF-C9AED138E7A3.jpeg 05F88721-1D81-4A06-BBCA-927DA4A356AD.jpeg 18C7E6F9-FC27-4FFF-9BBE-9F786E598A47.jpeg C83B8FA9-4D83-4846-B7D6-D47FA572F866.jpeg 7991B07D-4108-41ED-8EA4-70CB3FEBD3BA.jpeg 395EE076-45E4-4479-A6FB-9013E36D4405.jpeg CA269B4F-CCC8-47D2-A5D8-2A06FB29FDE8.jpeg

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Bodfish
I would like to revise this review,

Less than two months after I purchased these tortoises, they all passed away, literally every single one of them. They where all in enclosures that had been triple checked by me and then quadruple checked by the people on this forum. The diet they where on was perfect and varied. They had no access to anything that could harm them. They all showed signs of hatchling failure syndrome the weeks before they passed. And they never grew past 50 grams. I would not in any way recommend anyone buy tortoise hatchlings from LLL reptile.
Buy directly from a reputable breeder!!!!

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Bodfish
I am so sorry for the loss of your tortoises. ?

I believe that most reptile stores buy their tortoises from breeders, so therefore if the breeder does not start out the baby tortoises correctly then there can be a bad outcome for the poor baby tortoises.
I am sorry for your loss.

I should have known better, before I got these guys I went though hatchling failure syndrome with anyone hatchling. But I thought that this was a good place to buy. I was wrong. It was very difficult but I learned a lesson and now I have healthy babies from good breeders that I found here on the forum. I just hope that people will heed my warning. Do not buy from online reptile shops, do not buy from breeders who don’t soak every day, try your absolute hardest to find a good breeder and do your homework. Talk to the breeder in depth about the care they provide their babies, because where you get your hatchling is one of the most important decisions you have to make and can have a huge impact on your tortoises health. It can mean the difference between a dead hatchling or a thriving baby.

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Bodfish
That's unfortunate.
I had only heard good things about LLL before this post.
I'm sorry that you had this traumatic issue.

It took a while for me to try again. It was very upsetting but I’m ok now and I learned something with the loss.

I’m sure LLL reptiles are wonderful with other reptiles. They had wonderful customer service. Unfortunately tortoises are unlike most other reptiles, they don’t show their illnesses until they are in their new homes sometimes months later. Most reptiles are ok if they get into a good enclosure/proper environment as long as they are still alive. But that’s not how tortoises work. From my understanding they get their hatchlings from breeders who use the old methods of raising babies. The care at LLL reptiles is good but at the breeders it’s not good. Unfortunately it matters most how they where cared for right out of the egg. Meaning LLL reptiles would need a better breeder to get their hatchlings from. I actually think they are a good store but they just don’t source their tortoise hatchlings well. I hope they can change where they acquire tortoise hatchlings so that this won’t happen to other people.

Honestly though I’m just trying to let people know that the best way to buy a hatchling is directly from a reputable breeder. Then you don’t have to worry about hatchling failure syndrome