Lizard Boy, becoming a Lizard-Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kayti

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ashland, Oregon
I've had my Alligator Lizard since he was a tail-less hatch-ling. Since then, he has shed 4 times, and grown a LOT. He is also constantly getting new behaviors, and is pretty much the coolest lizard ever. He hangs from his tail like a monkey. He jumps. And recently, he has taken up digging, like a dog. He'll dig in the corners of his terrarium and then freeze if I catch him in the act. (He hates me more than anything).
But he is also recently completely and totally consumed with trying to escape. He climbs up to the top of his sticks and clings to the wire ceiling desperately, and he's starting to rub his nose shiny on the glass. It's obvious he hates being confined. I feel bad that he is wild caught, and (recently) not well adjusted. But I don't think he would survive if I released him, seeing as he's been eating fat, slow, stupid vitamin-dusted crickets & worms his whole life.
I try to keep his tank interesting, and I hide bugs in it for him to find, but it's not enough. I'm going to upgrade him to a bigger enclosure (I'm thinking zilla acrylic atrium). But does anyone have any other tips for keeping him entertained?

Do you think he could survive if I released him?

Here is what he looked like in December of last year:
lizardboy.jpg

And here's a couple weeks ago, on the same stick:
IMG_1404.jpg

And here he is, frozen in the act of digging:
IMG_1489.jpg

Kayti

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ashland, Oregon
It just occurred to me that Lizard boy might be acting up because the breeding season for these guys is April/May.

Also, I am 99.9% certain he is actually a lady.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Well, he is as cool looking as ever! Always was a cute little critter. ;)

I love the alligator coloring! Is (s)he happy most of the time? It would be tough to part with a pet that you rescued and nursed back to health. :rolleyes:

I don't have any advice, but I am glad you are posting again, Kayti. :D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Do stupid crickets cost more or less? and how do you tell the stupid ones from the geniuses?

chadk

10 Year Member!
Aligator lizards are pretty common here in Western WA. Used to catch them all the time for the kids in the backyard of our previous house.

Kayti

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ashland, Oregon
dmmj said:
Do stupid crickets cost more or less? and how do you tell the stupid ones from the geniuses?

Lol yes. They are genetically engineered, selectively bred, and individually trained to walk very politely into any gaping mouth they come across.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Reptiles go so much off of instinct, I think he'll be fine. I'm not saying I've ever done it, because its illegal, but I've heard of people, not me mind you, who have rescued and rehabbed all sorts of critters, including reptiles and then release them back into the wild. Sometimes years later. Mammals and most birds, probably not, but reptiles and bugs, no problem.

This includes captive born and all other ages too. Of course, not me, personally... I'm just sayin'.

Kayti

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ashland, Oregon
Tom said:
Reptiles go so much off of instinct, I think he'll be fine. I'm not saying I've ever done it, because its illegal, but I've heard of people, not me mind you, who have rescued and rehabbed all sorts of critters, including reptiles and then release them back into the wild. Sometimes years later. Mammals and most birds, probably not, but reptiles and bugs, no problem.

This includes captive born and all other ages too. Of course, not me, personally... I'm just sayin'.

Would this hypothetical person (not you, obvs) have hypothetically seen the results of said hypothetical reptile rehabilitations, though? Like, seen the hypothetical reptile having hypothetically survived later? Hypothetically speaking, that is, of course. Just curious.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Kayti said:
Tom said:

Would this hypothetical person (not you, obvs) have hypothetically seen the results of said hypothetical reptile rehabilitations, though? Like, seen the hypothetical reptile having hypothetically survived later? Hypothetically speaking, that is, of course. Just curious.

There have been a few absolute yeses, but so much of the time they disappear into the brush in some unincorporated area, never to be seen again.

In all honesty, I'm mostly speculating. Sometimes, months or years later an individual of that species will show up, hang around, and give me a very unusual look. Maybe I'm anthropomorphising, but it seems like a "Hey, I remember you. Thanks for helping me." moment. At least that's what "people" tell me about these matters.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
an awful lot of " "'s and hypotheticals going on around here,

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
dmmj said:
an awful lot of " "'s and hypotheticals going on around here,

Hey I don't make the laws around here about NOT being able to help animals in need. I just do my best to not get busted for violating any of them. Not that I ever "violate" any of them.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.