Livingstones outdoor digs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Richmond, Va
Hey TFO friends,

I just recently finished livingstones outdoor enclosure here in Richmond. We were having such high temps that the first above-ground house I built him outside was not staying cool enough during the 90+ day temperatures we have been getting.

Because we are renting the house I didn't want to do too much digging in the yard, but the reality set in that he needs to be comfortable outside, and his health and happiness matters more to me than the repercussions of doing some excavating.

I had originally wanted to go military grade and make him the equivalent of a bunker, but after some thought and discussion with my wife we decided to go a little less hardcore. What I ended up doing was removing the floor of the house then digging down about a foot, and digging a sloping ramp where the old doorway was. Once I was done i rebuilt the house but with shorter walls due to the now deeper interior space. All in all its a very reasonable accomodation for him and the temp stays at 80 all day, even at the hottest times, which is about 10 degrees cooler than before.

Here are some pics of his outdoor space, I need to take more of the inside but he's in there and happy.

The whole space is 30' by 30'
outdoor5.jpg

This pic shows the entry way to the house and the hibiscus I planted next to it.
outdoor.jpg

outdoor1.jpg

outdoor2.jpg

outdoor3.jpg

This is my wife feeding him.
outdoor4.jpg

Thanks for reading. :tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Where has he been living all this time? Nice new yard for him. Have you measured temperatures inside the house? Just curious what they are.

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
He has been living both inside on a 5ft by 10ft tortoise table, and outside in that pen. The pen has been enlarged a few times to where you see it now. We were living in Northern Virginia until recently, about 2 and a half months ago we moved to Richmond. The yard is new to him as of then.

In order to measure the temps I am using the same accu-rite thermometer set up that Tom uses in his hides. Accu-rite makes a thermometer with a wireless sensor that works a good distance from the indoor unit. The sensor tells me his in-house temps which are 80 all day, even at the hottest times.

Thanks for the questions.

Julius25

5 Year Member
France
great enclosure, he will be very happy in :)

RonHays

5 Year Member
Oxford, Ms
Very nice! I bet he loves his new home. I know if I were him I would. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Looks like a good set up. I see you are going to suffer from one of the same problems I suffer from. I keep making my doors to small to accommodate how big they GOING to be. I always build them way bigger than what the tortoise needs, but then two years suddenly has gone by, and I'm out there with the tools making the door bigger... AGAIN! :)

Thanks for the pics. He's looking great.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
That is just fantastic! Great pictures, love seeing torts outside with ample room!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Tom beat me to the punch...you're gonna need to enlarge that doorway before the summer is up! ;) But he looks great...and so does his turf! :tort:

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Looking Good, both, Livingstone and his new yard, You have an open invitation, (if you want) to come north and get free plants for the enclosure, I have several kinds in pots ready to go, and others that will have to be dug up. I'm not sure where you are in Richmond, but I can be parked at the Airport in 90 minutes from here at the beach, to give you an idea of travel time.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Len said:
Looking Good, both, Livingstone and his new yard, You have an open invitation, (if you want) to come north and get free plants for the enclosure, I have several kinds in pots ready to go, and others that will have to be dug up. I'm not sure where you are in Richmond, but I can be parked at the Airport in 90 minutes from here at the beach, to give you an idea of travel time.

That's a GREAT offer Len! I think Livingstone's pen would look outstanding with tortoise-friendly plants along the entire perimeter. Just out of range of him demolishing them...but close enough to partake of a leaf (or flower) or two!

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
Len said:

Len, that sounds great. And 90 minutes really isn't that bad. I will make every effort to get up and see you. Oh and check your PM's.

Tom and Dean, I have become an expert handyman at this point. Sulcata's are definitely a teaching tortoise, although it worries me that so many get them as a first tortoise. I really cant imagine trying to provide a good life for one without having had two smaller species before this. My wood supply in the basement just keeps growing.
On the subject of doors, what do you guys think about the door in relation to the tortoise? My opinion is the closer fit provides more of a natural feeling based on the size of a burrow opening in relation to the tortoise. I kind of like the idea that he can block the burrow entrance with his body.

Thank you everybody else for the compliments.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
You can expect an update on Climber soon! I know you asked when you did your update on Livingstone a few months back...so get ready!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your door size is totally fine right now. I think Dean and I were both just amused because we know how soon you will be rebuilding it.

I have not seen any problems associated with small tortoises and big doors. They use them just fine. Also, boxes that are cavernous on the inside seem to suit them just as well as a box that is more snug. Just my observations.

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
Yup, keep the cordless drill charged at all times, you never know when they might grow.

I lol'd at your response about small tortoises and big doors, it sure beats the opposite. Makes me think of the photo Aldabraman posted of Hommer parked in front of a door that obviously wasn't big enough.

You and Dean crack me up, I wish I lived in Cali. Who knows, maybe after med school?

Status
Not open for further replies.