Livingstone Update#6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Richmond, Va
Hey there my TFO friends!

It's been a couple of months since livingstone entered his subterranean winter retreat (basement), and although it's not the ideal setup, I feel like it's working out ok. Here are some photos of him that we took today. If you look closely you can see the band of recent growth. Enjoy.

IMG_1431_zps3ce66269.jpg

IMG_1426_zps6a8b3760.jpg

IMG_1425_zps89e3ad6b.jpg

IMG_1420_zpsdc714983.jpg

IMG_1419_zps5c63ca75.jpg

Thanks for viewing, comments and questions are always welcome.

nearpass

10 Year Member!
Livingstone said:
Hey there my TFO friends!

It's been a couple of months since livingstone entered his subterranean winter retreat (basement), and although it's not the ideal setup, I feel like it's working out ok. Here are some photos of him that we took today. If you look closely you can see the band of recent growth. Enjoy.

IMG_1431_zps3ce66269.jpg

IMG_1426_zps6a8b3760.jpg

IMG_1425_zps89e3ad6b.jpg

IMG_1420_zpsdc714983.jpg

IMG_1419_zps5c63ca75.jpg

Thanks for viewing, comments and questions are always welcome.

He looks really great! As a new sully keeper in the NE, I'd love to see pics of his whole enclosure, if you have them!

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
He looks great! My tortoises live in the basement for the winter too.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He looks really nice. However, really, the poor fella has to water himself:p :D Really, he looks like he has wintered well in his winter digs:)

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
He looks happy! I would love to see a full picture of your basement set up. It really helps give us ideas for winter care.

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
This is before I built his house with the heat lamps enclosed and a humidifier. The humidifier is currently not turned on because so far it only caused him to sleep outside the house. I have been using vita-shell to compensate in the mean time.

1_zps8d4a0df9.jpg

He looks really great! As a new sully keeper in the NE, I'd love to see pics of his whole enclosure, if you have them!
[/quote]

Momof4 said:
He looks happy! I would love to see a full picture of your basement set up. It really helps give us ideas for winter care.

Ask and you shall recieve.

Urtle

5 Year Member
You picked an interesting name for this beautiful tortoise. I like it.

BK-JAY

5 Year Member
Brooklyn New York
Thats 1 sexy tortoise you have right there. Keep up the good work and keep us up dated with pictures please I'm enjoying watching him grow

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
I thought that when they were as big as yours that high humidity was not a priority anymore. Am I wrong? Also, I thought it was too bad the poor guy had to water himself!:p. Your tortoise is beautiful!

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Livingstone is very handsome. Beautiful coloration and healthy looking.

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
Urtle said:

Thank you. It came from the explorer.

lovelyrosepetal said:
I thought that when they were as big as yours that high humidity was not a priority anymore. Am I wrong? Also, I thought it was too bad the poor guy had to water himself!:p. Your tortoise is beautiful!

No matter what size they, in the wild he would live in a burrow where the humidity would be much higher than the environment outside the burrow. So I lean toward it still being a priority even for a larger tortoise. I can see why one might think that after reaching a certain size that it would become less important, there is a key ratio of surface area to volume that once attained greatly improves your chance of survival.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Livingstone said:
Urtle said:
Thank you. It came from the explorer.

I'm glad you specified...I just told Tom that the larger of the two Sudans I got from him is named Stanley...because he explores...and thought it would complement Liivngstone quite nicely! See the below listed thread!

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-65886.html

Status
Not open for further replies.