?Liver failure (green urine)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGB

5 Year Member
I have a 3 -4yr old 13", 11lb Leopard Tortoise that has begun to progressively pee dark green for about 2 mos. I first noticed it after feeding it some peas, corn, and beans (first time I ever let it eat anything other than weeds/grasses/greens/mazuri....the staple if it's diet is mazuri.... Probably unrelated, but might as well share this detail) I can't seem to find much info online about possible causes... If I decide to go and try a vet in my area, it is helpful if I can go with great ideas because this specialized area of animal care is not easy to find. I have basically found that the urine looks like bile and I believe represents possible liver failure.
I've treated with flagyl for possible hexamitiasis. No improvement. The tortoise still eats and drinks well. It walks upright and appears very healthy other than the dark green urine.
I suspect this isn't going to end well for my tortoise :(. There does not appear to many treatable causes of green urine that I can find...
Any thoughts??
ImageUploadedByTortForum1393379532.698139.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortForum1393379333.324670.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortForum1393379333.324670.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 168
Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Oh, wow...that really is green. I know that eating a lot of dandelion greens causes the urine to look almost red, but I've never seen or heard of green.

Here's hoping its just something he's eating and not a health problem.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So sorry I can't help you. I do hope, like Yvonne said, it is just something he has eaten. Good luck and your leopard is adorable. Keep us updated.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Wow I have never seen that green urine before either, but I can say that liver failure causes much different symptoms, very inactive/lethargic, not wanting to eat, and even trouble being mobile. Perhaps someone else can shed some light on the color issue. I agree with tortoises, what they excrete has a lot to do with what they eat. I have never seen that with peas either...what do you mean by beans? Green beans?

RussianTortxo

5 Year Member
Florida
I didn't think that Tortoises could eat corn. Us humans have a hard time passing corn so I would imagine a turtle trying to process corn would be just as difficult if not more.

RGB

5 Year Member
Green beans...
This was just one meal.
And was probably 3 months ago

The urine is now just like bile. Very very dark green.

The corn passed through easily.
It's hard to provide variety in frozen months in Canada so I thought some mixed vegetables would be a rare addition to her diet. Like I said, just tried the once. Mostly eats mazuri

RussianTortxo

5 Year Member
Florida
Have you seen this forum?
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/foru...23117-my-leopard-tortoise-still-having-2.html

This leopard tort owner described the same dark green urine that your tortoise seems to be experiencing.

This tortoise was seen by a vet and had blood work and tests done but everything came back normal yet was still having "potty issues". After have reading this, maybe you can try some of the same things this owner did to see if it helps.

*read this

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I don't know what's causing the urine to be green, even dark green, but I doubt it is bile fluids. I would think that any bile fluid would change in the intestinal tract; not the bladder. Is it possible that your tort is actually excreting greenish water diarrhea? That would make more sense. Why not get your tort to discharge this green fluid without a soaking, and have a fluid analysis done. That would tell you more. Hope your tort gets well.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
The discoloration is a harmless side effect from a variety of food items. Asparagus sometimes adds a greenish tinge that's also perfectly harmless.

Green urine can also be a sign of a urinary tract infection or a bacterial infection that has gotten into the blood (bacteremia).

:D

RGB

5 Year Member
RussianTortxo said:
Have you seen this forum?
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/foru...23117-my-leopard-tortoise-still-having-2.html

This leopard tort owner described the same dark green urine that your tortoise seems to be experiencing.

This tortoise was seen by a vet and had blood work and tests done but everything came back normal yet was still having "potty issues". After have reading this, maybe you can try some of the same things this owner did to see if it helps.

*read this

Great read!
I have been trying flagyl but at a lower dose (50mg/kg) than referenced in that thread (125mg/kg). I have also directly observed the urine for parasites and could not find any. I am going to attempt getting a urine culture done. A urine dipstick was useless as the urine was so green that the color changes needed to be observed on the stick were masked by the intense green staining. My tortoise continues to have normal bowel movements with no difficulty,no parasites on microscopic examination of the stool either.

It might be worth changing diet from mazuri and see what happens as well.

I will try a higher dose of flagyl. The potential reward appears to be worth the risk.

RGB

5 Year Member
Urine sample...
It has been much darker!
The green color is quite variable.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1393417858.556784.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
That sample is pure or from a soaking and diluted?

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Jacqui, I'm assuming its diluted. It'd be very awkward to get a urine sample from a tortoise.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
If I carry my torts around long enough they always pee on my hand. I was scrubbing Taco's (my first Sulcata) belly with a soft toothbrush once and he peed in my face so I know collecting a sample is not that hard, it is just a bit time consuming. On topic, I have a baby leopard that peed real thick and tinted slightly green but only the one time that I observed and it was after feeding them some soft grass and cactus pads. Not at all sure if the two are related but thought any input might be useful. One never knows what can be discovered with the smallest of clues.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
bile is yellow.. and would be a fecal issue...
so this is either diarrhea or green urine.. from something... :)
acting normal?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I personally would not be offering any meds as a result of the green pee...after all, you did say you fed the tort Peas...this is going to offer some fun green in the pee....also, mazuri would not do the color--would not imagine why????

I bet you are reacting a bit and may want to observe for awhile, especially since you say all else is good and normal with the tort....increasing the meds will only lead to an actual issue....please just wait and watch....

That is a healthy looking green, like a result of food item consumption....please do take a breath and be observant for any other signs;

Lack of interest, lethargy, stinky rancid poo, lack of appetite, no poo, no pee...these are actual things to spark concern....simply having beautiful green pee after eating green Peas....would not concern me....also, you said you offered corn and beans? What type of beans? Corn should be smashed up a bit before offered as a seasoning to a food pile offering....:D

RGB

5 Year Member
Yvonne... Yes I saw that article which is main reason I began flagyl:
From the article u referenced....
"Hexamita: Is highly contagious and identified from a urine sample. Symptoms include Strong smelling urine, Dark green urine sometimes flecked with blood, excessive thirst, anorexia and fluid retention, weight loss".

Even though my hermann breeding group is quarantined from my leopard, I'm afraid of hexamita spreading if that were the case.

Urine was easy to get- just annoy her over a clean bucket! She will fill it!
So the urine was not dilute.

I should have taken in a sample before treating... Currently the urune results are:
No parasites
No bilirubin or blood
Everything seems normal except color
Culture for bacteria set up

Also, the peas were eaten at least 2 months ago...

Thanks for all the info!
I'll keep everyone posted, it's very helpful to learn from each other.
Bob

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
How much calcium do you offer this tort? Do you offer supplemental calcium in addition to food offerings?

RGB

5 Year Member
Calcium carbonate 1-2 times a week (powder sprinkled on good).

Diet is predominately mazuri, often eaten dry. I rarely give alfalfa based pellet foot, and usually give it a salad once a week which is mostly romaine. This is its winter diet. Summer is grass and weeds, she is outside most days.

I soak her every 4-6 days, and she always has a large bowel movement that looks the same as always. No diarrhea, not dark.

Edit: Oops, calcium sprinkled on FOOD (not good).

Status
Not open for further replies.