Live Tortoises wearing IPADs as ART Display!? --I love Art...I HATE this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
It seems to be allowed though, as long as it is only the popular internet forum trolls here slandering everyone else. Guess nobody ever said that there weren't "forum favorites" around here though that are allowed to consistently break the rules without having their posts deleted. Just like I'm sure THIS off-topic post will suddenly fall on the other side of the rules.

C'est la vie. You can only control your actions, try and stay out of the mud. If others choose to act childish there is nothing you can do but realize that hopefully others see their behavior for what it is.

Prairie Mom

I won't be offended at all if the thread gets deleted or moved to the debatable topics section etc. And I appreciated the voices that were kind, made me think, and the posts that made me laugh:) I also am extremely appreciative of people who can share opposing ideas without making false accusations and name calling. I always need to work on being more thoughtful of others and I think it's great when people of different thoughts and minds can come together. I have learned to respect many voices throughout this forum.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
the off topic posts have been moved to the General area.

Prairie Mom

Could we move Grandpa turtle's back? I just made reference to it as animals in art.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Thanks for sharing your view Leigti. This topic of animals and art has been on my mind a bit recently and I've been trying to think about where EXACTLY I draw my own line? Do you think it's fair to say that we all have to find the place where we feel "morally comfortable?"

I spent a few minutes looking at photos of live animals in art online the other night. @Grandpa Turtle 144 turtle posted a perfect example of a photo of a tortoise upside down and I came across several like the photo below.

I've already been called a hypocrite once on this thread, so I'll risk it again...this doesn't bother me:
View attachment 109709

I think the reason why this doesn't make me uncomfortable is because I imagine a photographer snapping a few photos of the tortoise and then taking the silly props immediately off or righting the tortoise in the poster that was attached to this thread. I can also see the point in this "art advertisement." It's even kind of a clever poke at the competition.

I really HATED the Ipad installation. I see absolutely NO point in the live animals being there carrying IPADS. They had NOTHING to do with the actual Ghost town art being shown and I am extremely uncomfortable with the animals acting like easels all day and carrying any additional weight in some stupid meaningless exhibit.

I'm interested in your opinions and am curious what do you think of the shutterstock photo?
A photo of something doesn't bother me as much as an ongoing exhibit. Plus, they do a lot of Photo shopping a picture so that you never really know what they are taking a photo of. People can make it look like they've taken a photo of darn near anything when really they just pieced it together from a lot of other photos. but live animals wearing things, being painted with images and words etc. that really bothers me. an animal is not a billboard. but where do you draw the line? For example I am a Denver Broncos fan, oh crap here comes the slack anyway, and I put a Denver bronco's collar on my dog on game day.am I making her a billboard? Does that make me a complete hypocrite? Maybe.

Prairie Mom

A photo of something doesn't bother me as much as an ongoing exhibit. Plus, they do a lot of Photo shopping a picture so that you never really know what they are taking a photo of. People can make it look like they've taken a photo of darn near anything when really they just pieced it together from a lot of other photos. but live animals wearing things, being painted with images and words etc. that really bothers me. an animal is not a billboard. but where do you draw the line? For example I am a Denver Broncos fan, oh crap here comes the slack anyway, and I put a Denver bronco's collar on my dog on game day.am I making her a billboard? Does that make me a complete hypocrite? Maybe.
All good points :)

I agree with the comments about animal use in art having a purpose, but also being considerate of the animal itself. I also felt uncomfortable with the idea of these sullys wearing the packs and being in the display every day. I teased Prairie Mom earlier and she was a good sport. Teasing aside, I think it was pretty rude to accuse her of being part of Peta and not reading her own posts. I try to recycle, but that doesn't mean I chain myself to trees. As far as living animals being in art, you know what has made me really annoyed is the use of Beta fish. Seriously! A coworker has a bottled betafish on her desk. It's becoming a new trend. Even tiny fish deserve better than cubes and bottles.
beta bottle.png

I also don't think the sweater/costume photos are that bad. Yup, I cringe and feel sorry for the animal and the embarrassed owner, but as long as it's not forced into it all the time no harm done.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Thread closed at the request of the original poster.

Status
Not open for further replies.