Live plants for Redfoots enclosure

Lu_x85

Does anyone know if this fern is suitable for Redfoots? It's common name is rabbit foot fern?

Also I've sourced some parlor palms! :)

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    835.6 KB · Views: 22

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
Does anyone know if this fern is suitable for Redfoots? It's common name is rabbit foot fern?

Also I've sourced some parlor palms! :)
I love bunny foot fern!!!! Have one myself but I love it enough not to plant it where the' be doomed to either root rot or being torn and leveled by the torts.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1471367391.222199.jpgthe best I find the weeds from my garden here's chickweed

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1471367442.096973.jpg and some grasses that I pull in lumps. When they are young they look like lumps of pillow mossImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1471367532.015261.jpg more grass. Sure it doesn't look as nice as the house plants... But lately this is the best I can do. Plus soon they will only sleep in there anyway, moving to their outdoor tortoise gardenImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1471367640.871770.jpgthis was Texas version of plantain. It didn't make it in that tank ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1471367719.860339.jpgwandering Jew and live mosses... Wandering Jew of any kind s great but it stays low to the ground, so for night lately I've been getting ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1471367841.516059.jpgwild Violet's and Mexican petunia. I have to find the pics of the latter

Lu_x85

I've just bought:
2 parlour palms
2 large spider plants (the variegated version)
2 umbrella plants + 1 variegated umbrella plant that has much greater height than the other 2)
1 asparagus fern
and 2 bromeliads (one from what was described as a summer mix and the other a winter mix, but both different heights. I'm assuming all bromeliads are edible and safe.

So that should sort a large part of the enclosure for now. I would love to pop some succulents in (or aloe) but I'm unsure what's safe. I have lots of aloe already and African violets but again worried about whether they are edible.

gibby

Philadelphia
all the best with plants my spider plant does well im thinking of edibles in spring mine loves dandilions

Canadian Mojo

Ontario
Spider plants are low light tolerant and tough.
I've also never seen any of my Redfoot try to eat them.
Ours will happily munch on them if there isn't much else around. The babies seem to be particularly tasty.
In the outdoor enclosure full of other plants, forget it.

gibby

Philadelphia
yea i was gonna plant spring mix salad for outdoor too i live in Philly so i keep indoors most of year

Torkoal#1

Dadeville
I don't have either yet. But I do have a pic from my last visit to see the tort.

My set up is gradually all arriving in the post. I'm having a custom made viv, which is made from an extremely thick plastic not impacted by the heaters needed for Redfoots. I've gone with this set up as it won't be degraded at all by humidity. The company comes highly recommended by keepers of Redfoots in the U.K. and other humidity loving reptile keepers. As it is custom made I've been able to allocate the ventilation I require. Once the viv has arrived I'll trial my irrigation system and thermostat etc. I'll be collecting the tort once the humidity and temp gradient are ideal.

My main area of research currently is on plants and finding ones which are safe for Redfoots to eat and will be something I can source.

View attachment 183735
Can I get a link to where you got the plastic tub.