Live naked people

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
More on the build of the nighthouse...

This is detail on the inside of the lid and progression through to the lid being complete

2015-08-18 16.55.00.jpg
I don't have a table saw or a panel saw, so to make each cut straight (I don't trust myself to following a drawn line) I use a piece of super strut.

2015-08-18 17.14.56.jpg

This following image is the second 4 x 8 sheet cut down. Again across one end at 16 inches to match the piece from the first panel, and again the long side. also 16 inches for its match from the other panel. Those strips are the difference between the outside piece cut for the lid and the inside piece cut for the lid.

2015-08-18 17.35.33.jpg
Here is the inside of the lid with the 1-1/2 inch foam panel cut and placed, you can also see caulking/glue that will help both seal and bond the inside lid panel to the frame pieces. Those frame pieces are 1 x 1-1/2 and 1 x 3. This will allow a little bit of overhang of the lid over the side walls.

2015-08-18 18.07.52.jpg

This is the inside surface of the lid, complete, less being painted, all interior surfaces have been treated with boric acid solution.

2015-08-18 18.26.44.jpg

This is the outer side of the lid.

2015-08-18 18.27.18.jpg

Next I will build the walls, all as separate components, so the whole structure can be transported laying flat in my Honda Fit. I plan to build them in pairs, two long sides and then two short sides, line them up and remove any height irregularity. Then lastly the base. The final 6 pieces will be fitted together here at my home, then disassembled for transport to the Fun Tortoise Farm in Clovis. where my turtle wife Yvonne impatiently waits. That's not totally fair, I said I would build this November last year, but then bought a house, that took a huge chunk of time out of getting things done. Yvonne has been a super patient excellent turtle wife.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
This is what the dry opuntia looks like, paper bill for size reference. This was three smallish pads not including about an inch from each end, then cut side to side the long way to preserve the long fiber aspect of the pad.
2015-08-18 19.34.35.jpg

This is a very close image, the center pulpy part dried to a paper thin width, the outer skin of the pad twisted to one side or the other and is also quite thin.

2015-08-18 19.36.12.jpg

The pancakes got them on top or crumbled into their salad (two and two of the four colonies), it met their pass/fail criteria. Neonate leopard seem okay to eat everything. The K. spekii and I. forsteni made it all disappear as well. Today was the first day they all got some. I tried is crumpled with one pancake group yesterday, they ate it all.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
A big squish of glue/sealer between the 1-1/2 X 1-1/2 and the plywood siding as one end unit is assembled.

2015-08-22 17.02.57.jpg
2015-08-22 18.07.24.jpg 2015-08-22 18.07.42.jpg
This is both sides and both ends held in place sitting in the lid. Those little metal thing will be at the end of a bolt hole from the outside passed to the inside. That way the four side and bottom will be bolted together, and make the whole house moveable in panels. two ends, two sides, a top and a bottom. At this point the metal things will be installed, the four side will be bolted together temporarily, and then the bottom will be made. The smaller area on the side panel will become the door.
2015-08-22 18.07.24.jpg 2015-08-22 18.07.42.jpg

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
installed t nut.jpg
This is a T-nut installed on the inside of the frame. This particular one is in the floor before the insulation and second skin of plywood are placed.

installed t nut.jpg

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
This is all the panels assembled into the single box. Still needs the door affixed and the lid to hinge, I'll use plastic pipe for feet/legs, be securing a piece the whole distance front to back, one near each end. The end away from the door will be a larger diameter so there will be a slight slope inside to facilitate cleaning and to better collect warmth. Then primer, and paint, and I'll be installing it at the Fun Tortoise Farm that Yvonne manages.\

2015-08-29 12.18.23.jpg

For heat I am planning on a 115 watt heat panel with a simple on/off thermostat. We will have a few month to play with it, if the thermostat's "on" cycle make is too hot, I'll get a proportional thermostat. We may put a small 24 watt T5 HO lamp in there too, on a timer to help out with day length and the bio-feedback it provides.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I keep forgetting to call a budget electrician I know of to give me an estimate on running a new line. I'll try to remember to do that today.

The box is lookin' good, William.

Is it too late to ask for a slight modification? I think another door at the other end might be a good idea in case we decide we need to separate any of the occupants. It would be easy enough to partition the inside after the fact.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Maybe I can help you do it yourself Yvonne . If you take pictures of the way you want to run it I can tell you how to do it . It's really not that hard to do . The hardest part is digging the trench . I found an easy way to do that to . Find kids in your neighborhood to dig it for you . I cooked crawfish for the kids that helped me build my fence .

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Is it too late to ask for a slight modification? I think another door at the other end might be a good idea in case we decide we need to separate any of the occupants. It would be easy enough to partition the inside after the fact.

uh, well yeah, when first planned as a 4 x 8 foot print that was the idea, but the smaller box is too small to do that. I can make a second box, or we can make the interior in such a way that the are mostly segregated as individuals. I can also make another box more quickly as I now have one built as experience. If I make another box that can be broken down into panels, it will be assembled with lag bolts, the t-nuts are a bit of a pain.

E

even gomer

Mike: (it's yvonne on her kindle) I don't know the regs and I'd like to go aerial. Too many buried obstacles in the way of trenching. (Water, sewer, electricity, phone)

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
That is a microscope, a pretty darn nice one. I need to get a lamp for it, and some slides and them I'm looking at poop.

Out of curiosity, what are the common parasites/organisms found in torts poop? I'm still planning to submit a fecal on Troggy, but I don't know what test to order! (I'm used to working with cats, not torts!)

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Out of curiosity, what are the common parasites/organisms found in torts poop? I'm still planning to submit a fecal on Troggy, but I don't know what test to order! (I'm used to working with cats, not torts!)
Three things they might look for that are fairly simple and many Vet Tech's can do it, actual small worms, worm eggs, and larger bodied protozoans. The best simple reference book I like and use is "understanding reptile parasites"
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1882770218/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
There are many other books out there, but this is not overwhelming and can lead you to more if you want.

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Three things they might look for that are fairly simple and many Vet Tech's can do it, actual small worms, worm eggs, and larger bodied protozoans. The best simple reference book I like and use is "understanding reptile parasites"
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1882770218/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
There are many other books out there, but this is not overwhelming and can lead you to more if you want.

Thank you! I keep meaning to scour some vet journals for tortoise articles, but it's been madness at my office and we're understaffed, so I haven't had time.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thank you! I keep meaning to scour some vet journals for tortoise articles, but it's been madness at my office and we're understaffed, so I haven't had time.

Yeah, madness at work places are why tortoises are so good for me as pets, they take the edge off.