Live naked people

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I have multiple screen shots of that seller's words. I am sure he was very "forthcoming" with a version of its background. The screen shots include three different versions of its background (according to that person) and then there was a fourth version (according to that person) that was stated to me in person. Different stories at different times for different people from the same individual. For the same tortoise. To get the reality of its background, I had to go to a source of information prior to the person who I got the animal from. I also confirmed the background of the female with a seller prior to the seller I bought her from. There were no major inconsistencies with the retelling of the background of the female. One of the four versions given for the male is correct after getting confirmation via communicating with a prior owner. That makes the other three versions, since all four versions differed, not truthful. The correct version was not posted publicly by a previous seller, but I hinted at the correct version in one of my replies to someone else. While I privately have references who can testify to the penchant for storytelling involved with one of these sources of information/misinformation, I am not keen on stirring anything needlessly. The breeder was known at the time of the ad's placement. The animal was specific in its origin and therefore not random. The animal of topic is in an excellent home with an even better subdivision of climate than mine here, the buyer and his facilitating friends have the genuine history, I have received the money I expected for the animal for a semi-local transaction, I met some nice people, and I was able to reclaim the barrier panels allocated for his pen to clean and apply to another quarantine area for a friend's animals down the road.

Not accepting just any offer from any person does not make it a premium price. I do not mind when others sell their own animals for less if they like, as it is their prerogative. Kind of like how people who sometimes like to reach out and say they will "give it a good home for free if you cannot find a buyer for it" do not make the values of animals like elegans, phayrei, ivory sulcata, hypo carbonaria, and more suddenly become zero because some of the people want something for zero dollars. I see it as being a little further up the spectrum as those people who post wanted ads to profess a willingness to adopt free radiata or gigantea. If you or anyone else would like to sell animals for less, I think you/he/she have/has every right to do so. Same for if you/he/she would like to sell animals for more. The completion of sales will determine what is tenable as far as pricing goes.

Unless there is something warranting further response on the matter (which could have been done directly in the first place), I am happy to return you to the normal course of your thread so as not to further distract from it.

We are well within the normal course of the thread, it's TFO's, it's only moderated for tone of argument and "bad" words. Very very rarely do the mods retroactively delete things, but you'd be correct to say they do on occasion. Yeah, I know. You can't keep re-editing on TFO after several minutes.

Thanks for sharing so many words and not actually saying anything of value towards the identity of the animal. If we don't wholly keep record of the animal we all end up with higgly-piggly messes.

In all sincerity I wish you would post here more again on husbandry and care info, your insights on other things as well. If it takes a pot shot to have you contribute then expect more. I like you Nick. It would be great if in venues you have editorial/moderator input on you too would offer the occasional personal e-mail, nor not edit out or sensor content of modest value. That person who had so many versions would have outed themselves for silliness had you just left it all alone. Each 'comment' elevates the post for the seller, never too much of a bad thing.

If/when that animal comes up for sale again (slight chance at least) how will anyone know of it's origin?

I have F1 and F1/F2 animals out there forever lost to follow-up. I am frankly ashamed of that.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
We are well within the normal course of the thread, it's TFO's, it's only moderated for tone of argument and "bad" words. Very very rarely do the mods retroactively delete things, but you'd be correct to say they do on occasion. Yeah, I know. You can't keep re-editing on TFO after several minutes.

Thanks for sharing so many words and not actually saying anything of value towards the identity of the animal. If we don't wholly keep record of the animal we all end up with higgly-piggly messes.

In all sincerity I wish you would post here more again on husbandry and care info, your insights on other things as well. If it takes a pot shot to have you contribute then expect more. I like you Nick. It would be great if in venues you have editorial/moderator input on you too would offer the occasional personal e-mail, nor not edit out or sensor content of modest value. That person who had so many versions would have outed themselves for silliness had you just left it all alone. Each 'comment' elevates the post for the seller, never too much of a bad thing.

If/when that animal comes up for sale again (slight chance at least) how will anyone know of it's origin?

I have F1 and F1/F2 animals out there forever lost to follow-up. I am frankly ashamed of that.

I am not concerned with retroactive moderator deletion as it relates to this topic. I also am not concerned by an inability to edit to fix spelling errors or what have you.

You are welcome. The animal's history was open to you (and everyone else) when the animal was for sale, but people had to ask as the ad instructed. I find that instructions in my ads serve as good selection tools. A number of fellow enthusiasts appreciate that attention to detail. Now the history belongs to the new owner. It is not owed to others unless they court ownership of it. If the current owner ever wishes to relay it, that is now his option.

I share information daily with a network of advanced, intermediate, and neophyte keepers (as the last group's members comprise the future) from various walks of life, but the environment has to support it. If a pot shot is how someone chooses to seek my attention, maybe there is too much distance between our perspectives for effective communication. I certainly do not take pot shots for the sake of receiving information that would have otherwise been readily shared. Not the most effective strategy with me. Whether you like me or not really does not factor in, Will, but this approach with me will not engender full information exchange and I remember how people approach me. If they request information from me using the channels I stipulate in my ads, I share everything while those windows of opportunity are open. I do not post ads to satisfy interests of people who are not my prospective customers. As for moderation duties/activities, I moderate according to the rules for the venues I moderate within. If you want to run things differently elsewhere, it would be irrelevant to my operation within the frameworks of the website and other groups within which I serve as a moderator/administrator. You are free to moderate in the manner you see fit wherever that is permitted, of course. I can run my ads however I like within the rules of the venues I use. I do not have to leave anything alone and I do not have to encourage anything within the context of my advertisement. A fabricator's self-outing is not the point of a for-sale ad posted by me. The point is the sale to a party I feel matches or can provide the care needs of the animal while delivering the financial compensation I expect in the exchange. I am capable of bumping my ads easily enough, so I do not need fake backstories or bickering amongst noise-makers to do so. I understand that those needless dramatics entertain some, but I lack that interest. Other people wanting their ads to spiral out into something else is their business. Or lack of business in favor of play.

If the animal is posted for sale again, the prospective buyers can simply request that information from the seller. Just as it could have been asked of me if contacted directly by email or messenger when I had the animal listed for sale. I am sure he would respond well to anyone he would consider to be approaching him honestly.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I'll drop this here .. .. ..

@Anyfoot @cdmay This is her thesis that begat the papers published elsewhere.
After the mammoth print out of this thesis I am now reading through it, and very interesting it is too. Some things are being confirmed to me and some things are totally new information to me. I'll be back to talk when I've finally read it all(don't hold your breath).
Just a quick question though. @cdmay @Will. Are the northern forms strictly north of the Amazon River and the Brazilian forms South of the Amazon. Obviously Bolivians are south, also are yellowfoots only north of the Amazon?

Still trying to work out how Debra actually got to Maraca island when it looks to be at least 10miles from the main road(RR-342).

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Redfoot%20range.jpg

I meant extirpated not estimated in post #324. There are several regional differences, size of adult is an easy one to see. The St. Louis Zoo has some so large they exceed small adult Aldabras.

In the late 1990's a man Anthony Taggert(?) did a presentation at the Philly zoo seeking help with his quest to bring some sort of modernization to a zoo in Peru. In that presentation was an image of at least a few dozen yellowfoots that were on scale with Tapirs they shared an enclosure with. All easily exceeded 100 pounds. I asked about them, he mentioned odds were they had all been consumed as Fish during Easter.

Equally unique are individuals from the Atlantic Forest. . .
Map%2BAtlantic%2BForest.jpg

I think Peter Pritchard showed slides of them at an NYTTS meeting/Seminar. They looked distinct.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Redfoot%20range.jpg

I meant extirpated not estimated in post #324. There are several regional differences, size of adult is an easy one to see. The St. Louis Zoo has some so large they exceed small adult Aldabras.

In the late 1990's a man Anthony Taggert(?) did a presentation at the Philly zoo seeking help with his quest to bring some sort of modernization to a zoo in Peru. In that presentation was an image of at least a few dozen yellowfoots that were on scale with Tapirs they shared an enclosure with. All easily exceeded 100 pounds. I asked about them, he mentioned odds were they had all been consumed as Fish during Easter.

Equally unique are individuals from the Atlantic Forest. . .
Map%2BAtlantic%2BForest.jpg

I think Peter Pritchard showed slides of them at an NYTTS meeting/Seminar. They looked distinct.
Im guessing the extirpation is due to the demand for human consumption more than anything else. (e.g pet trade and deforestation) ?????

Where are you getting these range maps from? Even Mr Google can't find them.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
images

BTW, this is a PotShot. Nothing random about it. There are several thousand expressions that conform to a style of poetry written by a man, Ashleigh Brilliant. This is my all time favorite. It acts like a filter, if you read it and find I am confessing to be stupid, then I know you are. Harsh, but that's how I see it. So many of his expressions are now ingrained in common spoken language it's hard to realize they came from one poet.

My dad ran his own printing plant for most of his adult life and printed quantities of these in the 100's of 1,000's. I was indoctrinated into running some presses and the like. That's how I learned to read from any direction equally well. Might be my I'm dyslectic too.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
For some reason I did not get the plastron of that last one. Image with PIT tag reader is followed by image of SAME tortoise's plastron.

Guys these are all so similar looking I can only tell the two creased scute holdbacks from all the others. Already sold are the few in the low 200 grams. All these range from 180 grams to 205 grams, and that changes daily between eating, defecating, and drinking.

Radiated, leos, others I understand you want to find abstract art in a pattern. That is not happening with this species.

1489453186000.jpg 1489453200326.jpg 1489453215868.jpg 1489453227284.jpg 1489453247532.jpg 1489453258564.jpg 1489453269154.jpg

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
Wishing now that I had internal PIT tags on the tortoises that were "held for me" while I recovered. Still no sign on ones I was very attached to and raised. These are from when I was in my auto accident.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
This morning's salad. Two heads of escarole, two bunches of organic black Kale, one bunch of collards, about 1 pound each of arugula and spring mix. One cup of grated pumpkin (the last of it from Halloween) , and a cup of rehydrate Bermuda grass pellets. One small cuttle bone and a heaping teaspoon of vionate.

A small portion chopped much finer for small Egyptians. Mushrooms and yard blossoms (hibiscus, Cape honey suckle, and nasturtiums) added for planicauda and hingebacks. Small chunks of organic strawberries mixed in for Forstens.

Manouria neonates, pancakes and adult Egyptians etc get the base mix.

It's a little different everyday.

1490626568261.jpg

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Wishing now that I had internal PIT tags on the tortoises that were "held for me" while I recovered. Still no sign on ones I was very attached to and raised. These are from when I was in my auto accident.

PIT tagging is pretty simple once you know how. Like most things.

At a vet the cost can be prohibitive for many people. Establish a patient fee can run from $20 to $50, actual office visit (just walking through the door) can double that. Then the actually tagging can run $60 to $120 for a total cost of $100 to $220. All for a few minutes and a $5 PIT tag. The registries can cost a one time fee or $20 or an annual subscription.

I buy tags at less than $5.00 each and post the number here and through a free tag registry. I've contemplated a video showing how, but then some rectal orifice might botch the procedure and blame it on me. But them again I handle thousands of small animals a year and have 'good hands' for such. I've done many terminal and survival surgeries on mice and tagged thousands of mice an many many hundreds of turtles and tortoises.

When I've trained colleagues at work they seem to pick it up within about five to ten mice. But they are already in the mode of handling hundreds of mice and rats. One of these "keep a tortoise like a Barbie" keepers will faint if they saw the size of the needle. Might not have good eye hand coordination and then end up harming the animal they like and maybe love.

So I'm not going to do a video. Maybe you know a vet tech that will place tags that you buy?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
PIT tagging is pretty simple once you know how.

You want to think back to the leg you spent about 45 minutes on a couple week-ends ago and say that "pretty simple" comment again?

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
[URL='http://www.tortoiseforum.org/goto/post?id=1469080#post-1469080' said:
↑[/URL]
"Will said: I know two vets that will place tags that you buy?"
"Cowboy_Ken, post: 1469212, member: 14851"]Heckfire, they own their clinic…
I did NOT say that.