Little surprises

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
OMG! Little surprises indeed! You're lucky to have found them before the birds did.

mrscruffy

OMG! Little surprises indeed! You're lucky to have found them before the birds did.

There aren't many birds around as they have been expropriated, but there are legions of cats. The two little Elongateds are setup in a box inside and are both eating well. I am building a better little habitat for them this weekend.

stevenf625

5 Year Member
What's your climate like? I'm in NC - very hot and humid all summer long. I'm wondering if a Forsten would do well here, better than a Herman or Russian

mrscruffy

What's your climate like? I'm in NC - very hot and humid all summer long. I'm wondering if a Forsten would do well here, better than a Herman or Russian

Hi,

This species are Elongated which are the cousins of Forstens and I live in their local range which is tropical. They will have no problem with the heat as long as they have shade and access to water. The weather this year has been unusally extreme, from an extreme cold spell where night time temps were less than 10 degrees Celisus followed by almost two months of daytime temps in excess of 40 degrees celisus. These little guys survived in the ground and their parents did their normal activities, albeit less so when it was cold.

Cheers
Scruff

P.S These are the parents.BEGParents.jpg

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Congratulations ! That's awesome little baby surprise!

Huckleberry

5 Year Member
Hey Scruff,
I notice the tortoise in the foreground has shell regeneration in the back. One of my females has spots like that, but also spots of exposed bone. Have you done anything to treat stuff like that?

Beautiful babies, btw! How are they doing?