Little Sully with pocket of dirt in with back leg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hauntmom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mesa, AZ
So my little Sully has a pocket of dirt around her back leg. She's only 2-3 months old so I don't know how much I can pull on her back leg. Some of it comes out in her soaks but there is still a clump in there I can't get out. I tried brushing it out with a soft brush but she pulls her leg in so I can't get to it. (I'd take a pic but I'll have to wait till the hubby gets home to help) Any way for me to get this out on my own? Is this really bad for her?

October

5 Year Member
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Yeah, soak her longer and give her a big enough container that she can walk around in. The movement should hopefully break it loose. It probably isn't going to hurt her, but doesn't hurt to clean it out. Maybe a Q-Tip?

AshleyJones

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
October said:
Yeah, soak her longer and give her a big enough container that she can walk around in. The movement should hopefully break it loose. It probably isn't going to hurt her, but doesn't hurt to clean it out. Maybe a Q-Tip?

I had the same problem a couple days ago with my one of my Leos. I did a nice long soak, after he walked around for a little bit it started coming out.

Hauntmom

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
I soaked her for about 45 mins and it still didn't come out. She walked around some but not a whole lot. I think she was really enjoying the soak.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
After mine soak, I squirt them off with one of those small hand-held pressurized sprayers. You know, the kind you pump up and then hold the button down to squirt. I bet that will squirt it loose after a long soak.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Yeah I use one of those rubber-ish bulb things (similar to what they use to clean out babies noses) to gently blast dirt off my little guys' legs during soak time. I got it at the pharmacy section of walmart, it's for flushing out your ears but it works good for giving tortoises a shower too lol

Hauntmom

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
Thank you for the help. I used a needless syringe (Like the ones you use to give kids meds) and the dirt shot right out. She's all cleaned out and happy. Thanks again!

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Weda737 said:
Yeah I use one of those rubber-ish bulb things (similar to what they use to clean out babies noses) to gently blast dirt off my little guys' legs during soak time. I got it at the pharmacy section of walmart, it's for flushing out your ears but it works good for giving tortoises a shower too lol

Great idea! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.