Little one keeps flipping over

A.Vazquez

Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio
Has flipped 7x in last 3 hrs so far. Originally was flipping from trying to climb the log. I moved and rearranged the enclosure and little one stopped climbing the log. However now its climbing the glass and flipping over. How do I help keep our little one safe? How long can LO survive on it's back? It doesnt even try to turn back over :(
We are doing our best to make sure one of us is here at all times to keep an eye on it but wont be able to be here 24/7.
Still has egg tooth "caruncle" so I know this baby is super young and I'm hoping it will grow out of it.

20190610_194520.jpg 20190610_204551.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
It looks pretty bare, he can see from one end to the other. Add sight barriers (he can't climb) so he has to go around. Makes him think it is bigger.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
How long have you had him/her? If it's in a new environment then there's really no stopping it from flipping if you've already "flip proofed" everything. Once it gets used to it's new surroundings it should stop. Give it a week to settle in if it's new.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That just seems to be what babies do. I have 9 little leopard babies right now and every time I walk by the enclosure I have to reach in an set one or two of them right. They're sort of round and tip over easily. Then they just lay there.

A.Vazquez

San Antonio
That just seems to be what babies do. I have 9 little leopard babies right now and every time I walk by the enclosure I have to reach in an set one or two of them right. They're sort of round and tip over easily. Then they just lay there.
Do you know how long they can survive on their back? My husband and I both have things to do for a few hrs today and I'm quite stressed over it

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Do you know how long they can survive on their back? My husband and I both have things to do for a few hrs today and I'm quite stressed over it
There's no real answer to this unfortunately. There are things that make flipping over more dangerous and time sensitive such as flipping over in a water dish or under a heat lamp. If it's just a normal flip over situation in a corner somewhere out of harm's way then being away for a few hours will be ok.

If your budget fits, I'd recommend getting a camera to watch over it's enclosure so you at least have some peace of mind or know when you need to rush home. I use Blink cameras from Amazon but those are pricy for a hatchling. I'd recommend a baby monitor with video option.