1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Little one keeps flipping over

Discussion in 'Sulcata tortoises' started by A.Vazquez, Jun 10, 2019.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. A.Vazquez

A.Vazquez Member

Location (City and/or State):
    San Antonio
    Has flipped 7x in last 3 hrs so far. Originally was flipping from trying to climb the log. I moved and rearranged the enclosure and little one stopped climbing the log. However now its climbing the glass and flipping over. How do I help keep our little one safe? How long can LO survive on it's back? It doesnt even try to turn back over :(
    We are doing our best to make sure one of us is here at all times to keep an eye on it but wont be able to be here 24/7.
    Still has egg tooth "caruncle" so I know this baby is super young and I'm hoping it will grow out of it.

20190610_194520.jpg 20190610_204551.jpg
    Cathie G likes this.
  2. dmmj

dmmj The member formerly known as captain awesome Moderator 10 Year Member!

CA
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    It looks pretty bare, he can see from one end to the other. Add sight barriers (he can't climb) so he has to go around. Makes him think it is bigger.
    Cathie G and A.Vazquez like this.
  3. Arizona Sulcata

Arizona Sulcata Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Mesa, AZ
    How long have you had him/her? If it's in a new environment then there's really no stopping it from flipping if you've already "flip proofed" everything. Once it gets used to it's new surroundings it should stop. Give it a week to settle in if it's new.
    Cathie G, A.Vazquez and drew54 like this.
  4. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 10 Year Member! Platinum Tortoise Club

Clovis, CA
    That just seems to be what babies do. I have 9 little leopard babies right now and every time I walk by the enclosure I have to reach in an set one or two of them right. They're sort of round and tip over easily. Then they just lay there.
    Cathie G and A.Vazquez like this.
  5. Grandpa Turtle 144

Grandpa Turtle 144 Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

I went to one of my buddy’s reptile shop last week and he has a sign posted ! IMG_3292.jpg I thought it was cute !
    Cathie G, xMario and Thebubster like this.
  6. A.Vazquez

A.Vazquez Member

San Antonio
    Do you know how long they can survive on their back? My husband and I both have things to do for a few hrs today and I'm quite stressed over it
    Cathie G likes this.
  7. Arizona Sulcata

Arizona Sulcata Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Mesa, AZ
    There's no real answer to this unfortunately. There are things that make flipping over more dangerous and time sensitive such as flipping over in a water dish or under a heat lamp. If it's just a normal flip over situation in a corner somewhere out of harm's way then being away for a few hours will be ok.

If your budget fits, I'd recommend getting a camera to watch over it's enclosure so you at least have some peace of mind or know when you need to rush home. I use Blink cameras from Amazon but those are pricy for a hatchling. I'd recommend a baby monitor with video option.
    A.Vazquez likes this.
  8. A.Vazquez

A.Vazquez Member

San Antonio
    Thank you. Tends to flip under lamp we decided to get a camera so we can remotely monitor when we have to leave.
    Arizona Sulcata likes this.