Little guy on his back

Bobbyott

i was out for a few hours today and when I got home my little guy was on his back. I was worried not knowing how long he was like that,call me crazy but it looked like he had a look on his face like HELP. How long can he be on his back before something bad happens? He is only 6 months old. I know it can't be prevented right???

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
i was out for a few hours today and when I got home my little guy was on his back. I was worried not knowing how long he was like that,call me crazy but it looked like he had a look on his face like HELP. How long can he be on his back before something bad happens? He is only 6 months old. I know it can't be prevented right???

Unfortunately one cannot tell how long a tort can remain on his/her back for, without harm.

I believe it can prevented if you find out WHAT it is that your tort clings on to, after climbing. Oli used to flip on his back for a while. Therefore I literally sat and watched him. He used to climb, and cling onto a STAPLE, after which he'd flip on his back. I IMMEDIATELY removed the staple, and since then all is fine.

Please watch your tort and keep us updated.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
unless something flipped your tortoise over he flipped over for a reason find out why and correct the problem as soon as possible. post a picture where he flipped over so we can see

Bobbyott

I know he try's to climb the corners and I've seen him almost get vertical, and that's where I found him by the corner. His enclosure is made out of flakeboard, I think I may have to sand the corners smooth. You can see the material in the picture temp-AFDXK3VACZp7rJkK3NJN4_0hQHCeLbLzPjFy2lwKYsv3sDiWhDKZp2wuJ2lmEtlRGkkV7qPfZzFnMHHmgyycDXg.jpg

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Rocks or anything can cause him to flip. I always kept my areas simple and not decorated. Babies can quickly die if flipped on their backs in the sun. The other problem is being in the open in front of predators. It can 've prevented, but as others have mentioned, you need to figure out what will make him flip

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
How big is that enclosure? Is it big enough?

I think for now it's big enough

Is the bottom lined with anything to keep that wood from falling apart? I can also see the sides of those hides being a issue that would cause flipping. Just my suggestion would be to change those hides with a square dishing washing tub flipped upside down with a door hole cut in the side of it. I personally think this a good enclosure, just needs a few small modifications.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bobbyott

This enclosure is 4ft long by 2ft wide by 1ft high. When he gets a little bigger I have plans to make him a much bigger one made with whole sheets of good plywood. I have used the wash tubs for hides and he won't go in them for some reason, I may just build a box around these ones. Here is a pic of what I had in there and he won't go in. image.jpg

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
This enclosure is 4ft long by 2ft wide by 1ft high. When he gets a little bigger I have plans to make him a much bigger one made with whole sheets of good plywood. I have used the wash tubs for hides and he won't go in them for some reason, I may just build a box around these ones. Here is a pic of what I had in there and he won't go in. View attachment 188311
Some just don't use them, my newest leopard never does.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
It looks like he might be able to get ahold of those flakes in the particle board , pull himself up and then flop over on his back !