Little Dude ate!

Ashes

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
So I've been really worried about my 2-3 month old RF not eating since I got him 11 days ago - but I've now gotten him to eat well twice in a row! What I was finding is I would put the food in his enclosure with him, and he'd walk away - every time! He'd go hide and never go back for it. Well, I kinda took that option away. I soaked him, and then I poured the water out and put his food in the Tupperware soak dish with him and he went straight for it and ate about 1/4 of a spring mix leaf. Then when he was done with the leaf and wouldn't eat more of it, I gave him a little honeydew melon and he ate 2 bites of that as well. Is that a good amount for a small guy like him? He's tiny - maybe 2-2.5 inches.

Anybody have an idea why this would work? Why won't he eat in his enclosure?

I still have yet to see him pee or poop in the 11 days I've had him. :/

He also doesn't drink but I soak him every day - is that enough?

Anybody else have any of the same experiences?

mikeh

5 Year Member
He is eating some, so that's a good sign. He should be eating daily and much more then half a leaf and two bites. Get a digital thermo/humidity readers and check the temps. Cold hatchling may not eat. He should have access to food thru out the day.

Keep soaking daily in Luke warm water. Enclosure should be very humid, damp substrate is ok but NOT wet.

Zxsong

Pasadena, CA.
When I first got my tortoise for the first couple of weeks she/he was shy to eat in front of me or do anything (poo, pee). She/he eventually ate in front of me after a few weeks, and even from my hand. I still have yet to see it drink and I've had it for two months now. I'm convinced that the baby is drinking when I'm not looking. I think it takes a while for a tortoise to get comfortable with a new environment, but yes you should also make sure your temperature and humidity levels are correct.

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
The ambient temp is between 80-85 during the day, 70-75 at night. The humidity is between 60-80% depending when my mister sprays the enclosure - I will double check that but am going to buy a digital reader instead of the ones I have to make sure.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
littledude said:
The ambient temp is between 80-85 during the day, 70-75 at night. The humidity is between 60-80% depending when my mister sprays the enclosure - I will double check that but am going to buy a digital reader instead of the ones I have to make sure.

i don't let my humidity follow below 70% and that's at night idealy during the day i wouldn't let it fall under 80% baby's need high humidity for smooth growth and it aid's in the digestion process