Little Bo Skinny Skinny

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrholls

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maine
Our Very Hungry tortoise has slowed down in the eating department. She seems totally uninterested in eating anything green, and will only eat raddicio, butternut squash, and a little fennel. Spring mix is going to waste in her enclosure everyday. She has also been much more aggressive in her attempts to escape. Single minded on escape actually, but will eat only if you wave it in front of her while she's walking around. She hasn't lost any weight but hasn't gained but 2 grams in three weeks. We did have a substrate change about a month ago from 50/50 coco choir/sand to 50/50 coco choir/ organic topsoil. Any thoughts? I'm really starting to worry. She went to the vet and got a clean bill of health, however the vet did say if emaciated is 0 and obese is 6, little bo would be a 2 :(

This is a pic of her yawning :)
IMG_0249.jpg

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
jrholls said:
Our Very Hungry tortoise has slowed down in the eating department. She seems totally uninterested in eating anything green, and will only eat raddicio, butternut squash, and a little fennel. Spring mix is going to waste in her enclosure everyday. She has also been much more aggressive in her attempts to escape. Single minded on escape actually, but will eat only if you wave it in front of her while she's walking around. She hasn't lost any weight but hasn't gained but 2 grams in three weeks. We did have a substrate change about a month ago from 50/50 coco choir/sand to 50/50 coco choir/ organic topsoil. Any thoughts? I'm really starting to worry. She went to the vet and got a clean bill of health, however the vet did say if emaciated is 0 and obese is 6, little bo would be a 2 :(

This is a pic of her yawning :)
IMG_0249.jpg

I'm no expert, but soaking them more often seems to help when they are less active/low appetite. Also, you probably have this covered, but trying to trouble shoot: is the basking site at least 95? is your UV bulb > 6 months old?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Sorry can't help much my guys are eating machines in cold or warm weather.

jrholls

5 Year Member
Maine
dmmj said:
Sorry can't help much my guys are eating machines in cold or warm weather.
That's interesting...could the onset of spring explain this behavior? She's always indoors though...maybe she can tell anyways?
She used to eat until there was nothing left, and then scarf more when I get home from work. Now she barely touches her morning meal, and eats extremely selectively of dinner. She seems fine otherwise, plenty of energy, clear eyes, etc....

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would guess it would be the other way around, the onset of winter even with heat and lights, they will sometime slow down, with spring arriving the appetite should increase, rather than decrease. Though to be fair I live in california so our winter usually are not that bad, so that may explain why they eat like machines. I would think that the temps may be affecting the appetite. I have some friends who overwinter their baby desert tortoises indoors and even though it is warm and plenty of light they still slow down in the winter time.Right now I would suggest maybe a favorite food, mine go bananas over hibiscus flowers, and radish and grape leaves.

Squirtle Time

5 Year Member
Virginia
Hmm.. I don't know what the cause could be, but I hope that her appetite returns. Good Luck!

jrholls

5 Year Member
Maine
I'm really concerned that she wont eat anything green anymore. Could she be colorblind? She seems bent on only eating red, orange, or yellow foods, and it's as if she just doesn't like the greens. She sniffs at them then ignores them. This has been going on for some time now. She even won't eat romain, leaf, or baby lettuces. Anyone else had this happen? Also, no big poops in a while, just a few small, light colored ones.

zoogrl

5 Year Member
Missouri
I would recommend checking your temps to be sure they are where they need to be. Have you ever given her mazuri food before? You could try that on top of greens. My russian goes crazy over mazuri & can smell it when I put it in & moves quickly to get to her food dish to scarf it down. I would definately soak the kiddo & if she's not getting better maybe ask your vet to do a further work up on her. Possibly some xrays. Hope she is feeling better soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.