Little Alice And Her Ex Hubby

waretrop

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NE Pa. Zone 5
They are from the same hatch about 7 and half years ago. They ate the same for 5 years and Alice grew like crazy while Ed grew very slowly. Alice was given to me after 5 years. Now Alice has eaten correctly far over 2 years is still growing. Ed has not changeda bit and is still eating wrong. Wilh eating wrong Ed does not have diorhea. If I feed Alice any fruit or regular she gets diohrea.

38038.jpeg
Ed

20171128_083710.jpg
Alice

Attachments

• 20171128_083710.jpg
    20171128_083710.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 11

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Fruit isn't well tolerated by Sulcata tortoises and should not be fed.
It's also normal for two tortoises raised in different environments to grow at different rates.(Because of environment, food, etc) And for two raised together to also grow at different rates because of bullying, etc.

waretrop

5 Year Member
NE Pa. Zone 5
They spent the first 5 years in the same house, same heat and environment, same food. Just not living together. When I got Alice she had major diarrhea. After about 2 weeks her stool got firm. This little one, Ed, had never had diarrhea. These things seem to be totally wrong from what I have learned and I was just wondering if someone had an answer. I have wondered if the little one, Ed may have had intestinal parasites but why would he not get runny stools?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
They spent the first 5 years in the same house, same heat and environment, same food. Just not living together. When I got Alice she had major diarrhea. After about 2 weeks her stool got firm. This little one, Ed, had never had diarrhea. These things seem to be totally wrong from what I have learned and I was just wondering if someone had an answer. I have wondered if the little one, Ed may have had intestinal parasites but why would he not get runny stools?
It's easy enough to have a vet check out the stool sample.
Fruit in the diet can contribute to parasite blooms from what I understand. It messes with the gut flora. And in a non fruit eating species like Sulcata, just the fruit may or may not cause runny poop.
Lets ask @Yvonne G
Maybe also @Tom
I don't keep Sulcata and these two members are very helpful.

waretrop

5 Year Member
NE Pa. Zone 5
Alice some pyramiding when she came to me even though she was never fed grasses or kale or even good pellets. She and also Ed was feed fruits and veggies along with a fruit pellet. They gave me the large jar of pellets with her. I quickly gave them to another person who had better use of them. Alice has had no more pyramiding to her shell since I have been caring for her. I have compared her first pics to her latest ones. BUT neither does Ed who still gets the wrong care...

Wish I could understand and advise Ed's mama to help him. She thinks Ed being small is good and Alice being so large has something wrong....I tried to get her to give him pumpkin or squash but she didn't get it. Now, I really don't think that works on parasites...

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I think the only reason you don't see much pyramiding on Ed is because he is so small and hardly growing at all. They have to grow in order to pyramid.

When I got Charlie, I was warned about letting him grow too quickly. There is still a lot of people who think that is a problem.

If Ed's mama doesn't want to read what is recommended and change Ed's diet, there isn't much you can do.

waretrop

5 Year Member
NE Pa. Zone 5
@Big Charlie I guess you are right...He is not showing any more pyramiding and he seems healthy. I just wish he would grow even a half an h=inch in 2 and half years....I will just put it in the back of my mind....

Thanks everyone.....