Listing Harmful Redfoot Foods

Arial

I've been compiling a list of foods that are bad for red foots. Can anyone add to this list? Is there anything that should be taken off the list? I don't want to give my tort anything harmful. But I want excellent variety. Thanks for the help!

No no foods for red footed tort:

Bok choy
Beet greens
Rhubarb
Peas
Beans

Egg
Cereals
Grains
Dog/Cat food
Pellet food

High Purine foods
high-protein foods
Organ meats like kidney
Fish like mackerel
Herring
Sardines
Yeast

Limit:
Spinach
Kale
Mustard greens
Broccoli
Cabbage
Celery
Cucumber
Rhubarb
Citrus fruits
Tomatoes
Cruciferous plants

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Where did you read that organ meats and egg are bad? These are very good rich sources of protein. Which red foot/yellow foots are omnivorous in nature. They are highly opportunistic and scavengers in the wild. Have been noted to eat carrion until it's cleaned even hunt some fish in shallow bogs and pools of water too.

You could list certain fruits. Most fruits very high in sugars are not good for any tortoise, strawberries, grapes(fruit not leaves), watermelon, apples, etc...

Arial

Where did you read that organ meats and egg are bad? These are very good rich sources of protein. Which red foot/yellow foots are omnivorous in nature. They are highly opportunistic and scavengers in the wild. Have been noted to eat carrion until it's cleaned even hunt some fish in shallow bogs and pools of water too.

You could list certain fruits. Most fruits very high in sugars are not good for any tortoise, strawberries, grapes(fruit not leaves), watermelon, apples, etc...

Arial

I read a few stories about red foots getting diarrhea after being fed egg. Also I read to avoid or limit foods high in purine, a chemical compound found in protein, and organs have high purine. So for those items I suppose it's important to limit them, but maybe not eliminate them.

I know red foots are omnivores and need little amounts of protein on occasion. I read shrimp, grubs like worms and some fish could be an ok source of protein for them. Lots to learn. Thank you for any advice or corrections! :)

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I read a few stories about red foots getting diarrhea after being fed egg. Also I read to avoid or limit foods high in purine, a chemical compound found in protein, and organs have high purine. So for those items I suppose it's important to limit them, but maybe not eliminate them.

I know red foots are omnivores and need little amounts of protein on occasion. I read shrimp, grubs like worms and some fish could be an ok source of protein for them. Lots to learn. Thank you for any advice or corrections! :)

Your no no list is probably a little too limiting. Some of those items can be given once in awhile. Redfoots are omnivores as stated. Many people advise against fruit for redfoots, including the Vinkes (leading experts I admire) because they find little evidence for fruit in the diet of the redfoots they studied in Paraguay. They believe it also negatively affects egg production and fertility. Diets high in fruit are also said to contribute to parasite load. But according to Highfield, redfoots can process sugars effectively. And I have to disagree they can not be given fruits as staple items in their diet, again so long as it is not over done.
Agree with tortadise about opportunistic and scavenging behaviors.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
@domalle I'm with ya with the fruits. I know they can handle fruits, but I'm a little more strict with usage. Mine get fruits maybe once every two weeks; it's more of a treat for eating all their weeds and flowers.

Also, I've fed lightly hardboiled eggs and lightly scrambled eggs occasionally without any incident (diarrhea or stinky gas/poop).

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Your no no list is probably a little too limiting. Some of those items can be given once in awhile. Redfoots are omnivores as stated. Many people advise against fruit for redfoots, including the Vinkes (leading experts I admire) because they find little evidence for fruit in the diet of the redfoots they studied in Paraguay. They believe it also negatively affects egg production and fertility. Diets high in fruit are also said to contribute to parasite load. But according to Highfield, redfoots can process sugars effectively. And I have to disagree they can not be given fruits as staple items in their diet, again so long as it is not over done.
Agree with tortadise about opportunistic and scavenging behaviors.

The thing to consider though about fruits can easily be overlooked by us keepers I. The United States or even Europe. They do eat a load of fruits in the wild. But the fruits found within Redfoots native range can vary vastly. Most of the animals in the amazon and South America eat fruits. But they would not be fruits we would get or see in our super markets here. A fruit in essence is a seed pod of a tree or plant. So being a seed propagator in a canopy scenario is obvious they would eat them digest and excrete the seeds germinating and allowing a new plant or tree to grow, but certainly are not strawberries, cantaloupe, watermelons, or oranges. Most of the fruits they eat are in no way considered something we would eat. I remember mark(@Madkins007 ) and I talking about this a few times before on the forum, the idea is to get the typical word of "fruit" dissociated with what we pensive it as.

I know marks website is loaded with very good information about carbonaria.
www.tortoiselibrary.com

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
The thing to consider though about fruits can easily be overlooked by us keepers I. The United States or even Europe. They do eat a load of fruits in the wild. But the fruits found within Redfoots native range can vary vastly. Most of the animals in the amazon and South America eat fruits. But they would not be fruits we would get or see in our super markets here. A fruit in essence is a seed pod of a tree or plant. So being a seed propagator in a canopy scenario is obvious they would eat them digest and excrete the seeds germinating and allowing a new plant or tree to grow, but certainly are not strawberries, cantaloupe, watermelons, or oranges. Most of the fruits they eat are in no way considered something we would eat. I remember mark(@Madkins007 ) and I talking about this a few times before on the forum, the idea is to get the typical word of "fruit" dissociated with what we pensive it as.

www.tortoiselibrary.com

I agree with this. If I feed fruits high in sugars, I try aiming for those that are also high in calcium. Figs, papaya and kiwi are some of my weapons of choice. And I'm usually pretty generous with the helpings when serving the fruit.

Hey Kelly, do you feed your torts dried figs (or any other fruit) by any chance? I heard that dried figs have a higher calcium content than fresh figs.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I agree with this. If I feed fruits high in sugars, I try aiming for those that are also high in calcium. Figs, papaya and kiwi are some of my weapons of choiceesh. And I'm usually pretty generous with the helpings when serving the fruit.

Hey Kelly, do you feed your torts dried figs (or any other fruit) by any chance? I heard that dried figs have a higher calcium content than fresh figs.
Never tried it. But definitely is a natural native diet food for sure.

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit

I've given my reds hard boiled egg and they've done well with it. It's not often, and they really enjoy it.

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club

www.tortoiselibrary.com

We don't typically have access to the naturally occurring "fruits" available in their native habitats and have to rely on the "improved" products of civilization and the supermarket. The key again is the provision of these readily available dietary items in captivity in a balanced manner. Strawberries may be contraindicated because of their high tannin content (so are mangos) but they are perfectly reasonable as an occasional dietary item. And watermelon may be too sweet but it is loaded with other excellent nutrients. And redfoots eat not just the flesh but will gnaw and devour the rind as well which provides roughage and great beak exercise.
I am not suggesting commercial fruits should be offered to herbivores like sulcatas, leopards, radiateds, Russians etc. but they are fine as part of a balanced diet for redfoots. But I take your point and I consider Madkins (name dropping here) a good buddy and will read some of your past threads.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
My tortoise loves egg, I give her sources of protein about once a month (shrimp, worms, boiled chicken, egg, etc.)

I have also given her beet greens as well as bok choy, but in small amounts and only once in a while.

Try some cactus or mango! And I highly recommend Mazuri pellets if you do not have it already, my tortoise is obsessed, I give her a few a week

ShannonT

Oregon, Pacific Northwest
What about a little cooked oatmeal on a rare occasion?
When I first got my clan last winter the were a bit stressed and didn't want to eat much.
I slow cooked some oatmeal with a birth of almond milk and tossed in a few raisins.
I let the raisins get plump and soft and added a few frozen blueberries.
They absolutely loved it!

Octavious22

5 Year Member
California
Do people seriously believe everything they read? I rather just do my own research retain what's good and not panic about EVERYTHING.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield

Dont know how I missed this thread :mad:.
So as far as feeding fruits to reds. What do you feed if any ?

turtlemanfla88

The year I feed my Foresti tortoises whole thawed rats,beef heart, and whole fresh fish once in awhile. I produced my first and only hatchling. I do not recommend this for all species of tortoises only Red foots, Yellow foots, elongated, Burmese blacks and Browns,
Foresti,etc the species that are known to eat animal matter in the wild.