List of best C:P greens and fruits?

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
Good morning TFO,

Is there a comprehensive list (or even better, chart) showing/comparing various greens/grasses/fruits for their nutritional benefit for our tortoise?

I've surfed the Tortoise Table, and various threads here and on FB and other websites ... the result being that I have some idea of a number of foods that Darwin, my redfoot, can eat that will support his healthy growth. I try to vary his diet so that he eats different things daily and weekly, rotating back to a select number of the basics on a regular basis.

Darwin's diet:
Greens: arugula, red mustard, mizuna, watercress, kale
Fruits & Veg: mango, papaya, strawberries, banana, butternut squash
Protein: hard-boiled egg, freeze-dried insects
Houseplants in enclosure: spider plant, wandering jew, mint, pothos

I'd love a resource that offered comparative levels of critical nutrients, so that I can optimize his diet, but would also welcome any advice/opinions on foods that I could/should add to improve his diet.

Thanks,

Jamie

daniellenc

Maryland
I’d love a list and @Will has a thread here comparing food nutrients but not just C:p. I’d add shrimp, pumpkin, dandelion greens/flowers, plantain the weed, hibiscus or rose of Sharon leaves/flowers, hasta leaves/flowers, squash, zucchini, red bell pepper, cactus, mulberry leaves/berries, and grape leaves. Radicchio and endives are good as well and my RF loves the occasional tomato chunk.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
IMG_7283.jpg

The cheat-sheet I made, averaging the data I thought I'd use from the various sources linked to in the aforementioned thread.

Darwin also eats soaked Mazuri pellets and rehydrated freeze-dried insects a few times a week.

Jamie

Last edited:

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I made up a breakfast for Darwin this morning with collard greens, pear, apple, and lemon ... I diced the lemon into tiny pieces for the mix, and kept seeing Darwin seek out the bits of rind.

Jamie

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I made up a breakfast for Darwin this morning with collard greens, pear, apple, and lemon ... I diced the lemon into tiny pieces for the mix, and kept seeing Darwin seek out the bits of rind.

Jamie
I know, huh. I have an orange tree in my YF yard and the oranges that hang down at the bottom of the tree always have beak scrapes on them.