Liquid leaking from leopards plastron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harpener

5 Year Member
I had this leopard tortoise for over 2 years now therefore he should be approximately 6-7 years old. I give my tortoise a bath about twice a week and I gave him one this afternoon. He had some crusted poop on his tail and on the plaston ( he has this habit of pooping and then sleeping on it) so I used a babies toothbrush to scrub it off. I've been doing this method ever since I first got him. After the bath I dried him off and placed him back in his habitat. When I come home after work I took him back out again to let him walk around. When I did that a noticed that the bottom of his shell was a little wet so I turned him over and had a look. There was some sort of liquid coming from it appears between two of the scutes closest to his tail. I thought it was just leftover water from the bath or he had just peed but when I dried it with a piece of tissue I noticed it had a faint pinkish tint (blood?) The area around the scutes where the liquid was coming from was very faint pink and I know it wasn't like that before the bath. After 20 or so min I looked again as the bottom and there was again some liquid. Could I have accidentally scrubbed too hard and injured him? I'm quite worried about this because I couldn't find any similar information online.
I hope somebody here knows whats happening and if its a serious problem

Sudhira

5 Year Member
I am surprised no one had answered you yet. Hope your tort is ok.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
it's hard to diagnose without pics. my suspect would be some type of infection, but I can not say 100%

Harpener

5 Year Member
Here's a photo
125-1.jpg

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I'm afraid this is very serious :( Your tortoise has septicemia which is an internal (blood) infection. You need to get your Leopard tortoise to a good reptile vet ASAP.

Danny

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
egyptiandan said:
I'm afraid this is very serious :( Your tortoise has septicemia which is an internal (blood) infection. You need to get your Leopard tortoise to a good reptile vet ASAP.

Danny

Danny, Is this rare? What is normal prevention?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Not as rare as people think :( The only prevention would be to keep your animal as unstressed as possible. That and early detection of the symptoms so you can get to a vet and have a good chance of fighting off the infection with antibiotics.

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Harpener:

Even though your circumstance isn't the best with your tortoise, I still wanted to...
58447ycio464yze.jpg

you to the forum!

Please let us know what the vet has to say. We all can learn from your experience. And I am hoping for the best for him.

Harpener

5 Year Member
Hi everyone,
I got a bunch of help and advice from egyptiandan and my tortoise is currently on some oral antibiotics. Hopefully all goes well and my tortoise is fully cured as soon as possible. I'm hoping it's before he discovers all my trick to get him to eat his medicine. Loaded leaves and lettuce sandwiches he's discovered and will no longer eat them. He can smell the medicine in them and separates them from the rest of the food.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
LOL, not laughing at your sick tort but how smart they can be.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Are you using a Vet?

A septic infection is usually the result of renal failure. If that is the case the tortoise also needs hydration and not just giving it water.

Harpener said:
Hi everyone,
I got a bunch of help and advice from egyptiandan and my tortoise is currently on some oral antibiotics. Hopefully all goes well and my tortoise is fully cured as soon as possible. I'm hoping it's before he discovers all my trick to get him to eat his medicine. Loaded leaves and lettuce sandwiches he's discovered and will no longer eat them. He can smell the medicine in them and separates them from the rest of the food.

Harpener

5 Year Member
Due to living in China. There are no vets here that were willing to help me. They will only treat mammals but they were willing to sell me the required medication. I got help from a number of vets around the world who helped me choose the best medicine and the dosage for my tortoise. What other method of hydration are you talking about? I thought the only way to hydrate a tortoise was to provide drinking water and bathe them.

-EJ said:
Are you using a Vet?

A septic infection is usually the result of renal failure. If that is the case the tortoise also needs hydration and not just giving it water.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
There is some kind of long, needleless syringe that someone on TFO was using to administer medicine to his torts when they wouldn't eat it wrapped in food.

I am sure Danny knows, and if that's helpful he's probably already guided you there. You can take any advice from Danny straight to the bank.

Good luck and I hope your tortoise gets better.:)

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Just do what you're doing and hope for the best.

Let me ask you... is the tortoise eating, drinking and poo'ing?

From the photos you posted the tortoise is septic but in a strange kind of way. Can you see anything that might be caught under the scute at the growth line?

Harpener said:
Due to living in China. There are no vets here that were willing to help me. They will only treat mammals but they were willing to sell me the required medication. I got help from a number of vets around the world who helped me choose the best medicine and the dosage for my tortoise. What other method of hydration are you talking about? I thought the only way to hydrate a tortoise was to provide drinking water and bathe them.

-EJ said:
Are you using a Vet?

Harpener

5 Year Member
My tortoise actually had a small cut on his tail which I hadn't noticed when I first posted the photo. That appears where the liquid was actually coming from. It was from him holding his tail under his shell which made the liquid follow the growth line of the scute from the underside. The cut has healed up and 36hours after posting that photo last week there was no more liquid coming out.
He appears to be doing well he still has a large appetite and he drinks and poops when he's in the bath. I've still got him in a sterile house but I'll change it back to his old house this Thursday.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
I thought as much... it being a local infection rather than a septic infection. Normally when a tortoise gets a septic infection it will first seep from the centerline and eventually move outward. Also... when a septic infection outwardly appears the tortoise is not eating and is lethargic by that time.

I'd suggest keeping it sterile for a little bit longer than you need to.

Harpener said:
My tortoise actually had a small cut on his tail which I hadn't noticed when I first posted the photo. That appears where the liquid was actually coming from. It was from him holding his tail under his shell which made the liquid follow the growth line of the scute from the underside. The cut has healed up and 36hours after posting that photo last week there was no more liquid coming out.
He appears to be doing well he still has a large appetite and he drinks and poops when he's in the bath. I've still got him in a sterile house but I'll change it back to his old house this Thursday.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
And...the next time you have to give medicine here's a tip: Try to find a pelleted food that the tortoise will eat. Just feed him the pellets occasionally to keep him interested in it. Then if you ever have to medicate, you just put the medicine in the moistened pellets. That's the only way I can get medicine into my Aldabran tortoise. I put it in his Mazuri!! Works every time.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
I've kept probably 25 different species of tortoise. I condition all my tortoises to where I can open their mouths... the Aldabra is NOT one of them and I try this conditioning from very early on.

emysemys said:
And...the next time you have to give medicine here's a tip: Try to find a pelleted food that the tortoise will eat. Just feed him the pellets occasionally to keep him interested in it. Then if you ever have to medicate, you just put the medicine in the moistened pellets. That's the only way I can get medicine into my Aldabran tortoise. I put it in his Mazuri!! Works every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.