terracolson

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento
So i have seen some names of uk stuff
zolcal d
trex bone aid
yatta yatta............

I am thinking about my female russian that is very underweight ...

she did eat some mazuri tonight, but if i could drop some liquid vitamins in her bath water.. since her eating is sparatic...

I am of course wanting to rule out worms, but i am sure she needs calcium....

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
And I don't have your answer, but I have seen liquid calcium referred to on this forum before...

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
no worries, i see no one wants to answer me

i found tons on ebay

It seems that my girl might pass

she has gone blind

Its the weather i know

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Do you have her indoors, Terra? When they're sick its best to set them up individually in hospital pens and raise the temperature. The weather shouldn't be a problem indoors. I can't remember if you've de-wormed the tortoise? Maybe you can use "Critical Care" by Oxbow, add some liquid calcium to it and tube feed her. Don't give up on her.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
She is inside, thats why i was asking about the calcium, i wanted to find out where to get it at.
I didnt worm her, Since she is acting very ill. A friend I have "craig" told me I should wait to worm her until she is acting better. It seems that her Russians are doing the same thing.

So she is chillen on a nice heating pad and I can hand feed her. She has a great appetite it just seems her eyes that are open are not working

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I just recently bought a big bottle of liquid calcium online. I don't remember where I got it, but when you switch your GOOGLE search engine over to "shopping" then put in liquid calcium, you'll get many hits. Just pick one. I paid around $25 for a large bottle.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I just looked up my receipt. I bought it from Vitacost, a company in Las Vegas. Its a 32oz bottle of liquid calcium citrate and it cost $12.99 with 4.99 shipping. Several years ago I bought a pint bottle of Neo-Calglucon (Calcium glubionate) from my local pharmacy for $44.01. I don't know which is absorbed better, the glubionate or the citrate. I don't know if the glubionate works better since it cost more or not.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It would be easy for a tortoise to spit out a pill. I don't know about using those.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
no i would snip it!
i could sqeeze it into her mouth

my question is, is that calcium trust worthy? safe?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Anytime I need to administer pills to tortoises I pulverize them into a powder form with a good old fashioned mortar and pestle, add a small amount of water, mix it up and put it in a syringe with a tube on it. I then open the tortoises mouth slide the tube down the throat and pump the liquid in. The whole process takes less than 5 minutes and you're assured that the tortoise got the medication/supplement.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
well these are liquid filled pills. I was thinking nipping the edge and squirting it in her mouth and in her bath water...

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
i see that, but i am thinking i need something now i dont have time for shipping

i need to pick something up right now, as in really right now..

so the question still remains, for a temp fix till i get the expensive stuff, will nicking the calcium pills work?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think I'm missing something. I'm not understanding why you want to give calcium to a sluggish adult Russian that just came out of hibernation. What makes you think that calcium deficiency is her problem? If she's getting warm water soaks, sunshine(weather permitting) and eating well, I think you'll be okay. I would be more worried about stressing her unnecessarily and messing with her digestive processes. If she's eating, why don't you just sprinkle some calcium carbonate on the food. The Mazuri is supposed to be pretty good for the Calcium too. Plus the protein will probably help put the weight back on.

If she's having eye problems, my first question is what kind of bulb are you using for indoors and how much is she basking under it?

Sigmar

5 Year Member
What does your vet say? I talked with mine last week, he feels that calcium supplements can cause more harm than good. Its better for them to get it naturally then arbitrarily dosing them with it. Many plants are high in calcium, you need to balance it against their phosphorous intake.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
it was a thought, she is outside all the time. so no bulbs, she is much better today..eating with out missing.. last night she couldnt bite her food,. i had to hand feed her.

She is under weight, i am sure she didnt get calcium last year, so i was wanting to give one tiny calcium boost. Seriously she has been out of hibernation since Feburary!

She ate some cactus, i am just trying to think of what else i can do...

the problem is the weather too.. its 80 in the days and like last night 38!

so every one is having issue.. i think it is only going to be 50 tonight.. oh yeah and its been raining..

so it seems that the other russian keepers have the same problems with there russians, except theirs aren't 200 grams lite...

am i very moody, sorry, i just want her to be fine!!!!!!!!!! I wish you could tell how hard i hit that key

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Poor Terra, I know how you feel about crappy weather bringing you down...

Soon it will be bright and sunny and your tortoise's health and mood should improve.

Taco's in a funk today too...she cannot go outside as there is SNOW on the ground, so she hasn't eaten anything and keeps scratching on the sides of her pen...it's too cold to even let her wander around in the sunporch...

I feel like scratching the walls, too!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.