Lining the terrarium

Taylor Sweet

Location (City and/or State)
Indiana, USA
Hi there! My name is Taylor and I've had my tortoise, Tank, for almost a year now. I recently moved him from a large Rubbermaid tub to a ZooMed tortoise table, which is made of wood.

The Rubbermaid tub was nice because it was really easy to keep clean. Originally when I got his new terrarium, I lined it with newspaper, because I was too excited to wait to buy something better. Now I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what I should like the bottom with? He always rips up the newspaper and it just looks bad. I thought about plexiglass at one time, but I feel like that would be difficult to cut and it might splinter the wood if I attached it to the wood, as it's very soft. I read that some people who have bunnies like the bottoms of their cages with linoleum tile, but I wasn't sure if that would be toxic. Any suggestions?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Line it with plastic like a shower curtain or pond liner, but then he needs dirt or orchard bark on that. Not paper or carpet but natural substrate. They like to burrow so a nice deep dirt substrate would be loved by him/her. Check out the care sheet in the Russian section for proper housing. temps l, humidity, etc

Taylor Sweet

Indiana, USA
Line it with plastic like a shower curtain or pond liner, but then he needs dirt or orchard bark on that. Not paper or carpet but natural substrate. They like to burrow so a nice deep dirt substrate would be loved by him/her. Check out the care sheet in the Russian section for proper housing. temps l, humidity, etc

Yes I have cypress mulch in there currently I used to have dirt and even grew grass in there for awhile, but he ripped it all up haha

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
I used the rubber tyle gym mats that you can buy one at a time . I believe their made for home gyms I got mine at Lowe's. I'm pretty sure their water proof and I love them they can be easily cut to fit and you just buy the number of tiles to fit