Lining for a tortoise table

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tech13

5 Year Member
I was wondering what people line their tortoise tables with? I don't want the wood to rot or get smelly. Also, I think it should be strong so you don't poke holes in it when cleaning/changing out the substrate

7oasty23

5 Year Member
I just use plastic sheeting, seems to work pretty well.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I use black construction clean up bags. ( a glorified trash bag)

0.0.1 Red Foot
0.0.1 Crested Gecko
0.1.0 Dachshund

Tech13

5 Year Member
Wow, thank you for all of the great ideas, there is something that will work for any budget! I think a shower curtain liner will be a good size, I'll wash it in plain water and air dry it to get that new plastic smell out...now to look for a sale :)

morloch

5 Year Member
I say pond liner, durable enough they can't scratch through it.

RussTort

10 Year Member!
I know it's an old thread but I guess it's better to pump it than make a new thread.

How is everyone fastening the lining? Staples and duct tape is really all I can think of but I'm afraid he might hurt himself on staples and I'm not sure about putting glue in the enclosure. Any tips?

LisaTurtle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Seattle
I'm interested to hear how others attach the plastic lining as well. I'm thinking about using a spray paint sealer, my enclosure-to-be is metal 3x6 ft.

lokenica

5 Year Member
I have lots of left over thick pond liner form when I built my outdoor pond, if you live in Georgia. I can give you some.

Tech13

5 Year Member
RussTort said:
I know it's an old thread but I guess it's better to pump it than make a new thread.

How is everyone fastening the lining? Staples and duct tape is really all I can think of but I'm afraid he might hurt himself on staples and I'm not sure about putting glue in the enclosure. Any tips?

Great question! I spent $ and time on an outside enclosure, have yet to get the t-table done since my hubby and oldest son have to move the old mammoth wooden desk we will use up from the basement. I need to light a fire under them to get things started, hehe! Well, I think I want to use pond liner for durability now, and I am thinking drape the liner over the wood sides we will build and staple it to the wood from the outside. I have not worked with pond liner though, so I am not sure if my ideas will work.

morloch said:
I say pond liner, durable enough they can't scratch through it.

Did you staple yours?

lokenica said:
I have lots of left over thick pond liner form when I built my outdoor pond, if you live in Georgia. I can give you some.

Thank you! I'm too far away (PA) but how thick is it? does a staple gun go thru the stuff?

RGB

5 Year Member
Thick supple clear plastic is often put over dining room tables. It can be purchased in Canada at reasonable cost in Canadian tire. Not sure what a comparable store is in the US, maybe a hardware store like Lowes or home Depot? Gd luck!
Bob

Vickie

5 Year Member
As RGB stated above you can get this plastic I know for a fact at Joanne Fabric store.......I have used this for tons of stuff. :)

Tech13

5 Year Member
Price, availability, durability, safety (will it cause illness from fumes when baked by heat or release other toxins when in contact with substrate, moisture, or foods; or melt/catch fire), and ease to work with...so many things to consider, maybe this is a job for a spreadsheet analysis. I like that there are many choices for individuals to consider...thank you all for providing options, also, your comments help to make informed decisions, the best kind!

Feel free to continue to add comments and questions based on experience, research, creativity, etc. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.