Lighting...

Status
Not open for further replies.

super_jane

5 Year Member
Hello!
First I just want to state this, there is 100% no possible way I can use electric lighting in my home for my tortoises no heat bulbs or anything. I use to, but it got knocked into my tortoise habitat and it caught fire! My tortoise is LUCKILY ok! Its been days since that happened but I am no longer allowed to use anything that plugs in! PLEASE HELP. What do I do? I know how crucial it is for them! So I want to do what I can!!! :(:(:(

tiff3grl

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Yes, indoor lighting/heating is essential. Where do you live? Is housing outside an option?

super_jane

5 Year Member
I live in Pennsylvania! It is indeed an option! What do I do? I am very worried...

tiff3grl

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I know it sounds bad to say and I don't want you to take it wrong but if you are unable to give the tortoise what it needs you may need to find a new home for him/her. It's unfair to make a tortoise live in a unhealthy environment because you cannot provide a healthy one. Why are you no longer able to provide proper lighting/heat? If this is coming from someone you live with maybe you can both find a more secure stable way of hanging lighting/heat that will make everyone happy in the end "including the tortoise". Mine live outside 100% of the time but maybe others will have some good suggestions for something more secure.

super_jane

5 Year Member
I can not provide the proper heat/light INSIDE because the light was knocked inside and caused a fire. I can do ANYTHING outside! I just need help with an outdoor enclosure! If you keep yours outside, what do I need?

The only thing I cant to is have in inside. Outside its 100% FINE.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What species?

Your tortoise must have a basking light indoors. Possibly the parental units could help you mount the light properly this time so it does NOT start a fire. If you have a properly mounted and wired lit fixture, vs. a clamp lamp, fire risk is minimal.

If the parents are firm about this, you may have to find a new home for your tortoise. They can't live indoors without some heat and light.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
If the weather outside is poor, you may need Long term indoor housing. Can't you just use indoor lighting and make sure that it is secure and safe ? How did it catch fire? Was it a clamp lamp? A fluke accident from user error should not stop you from providing an indoor enclosure with proper heating and lighting if necessary .

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek

super_jane

5 Year Member
It was a clamp lamp and the children were playing and knocked it into the enclosure. It was indeed securely on they helped me mount it, it was simply knocked off. What is the safest lamp? I will try...

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Outdoors are a good option for the warmer months, but what are you going to do during the winter?

If there is 100% no way to use indoor lighting or anything that plugs in, it's time to start looking for a new home for your leopard. You may not want to hear it, but you've got to think of what's best for the tortoise.

tiff3grl

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I'm sorry that you took it that way, I was only stating that as a last resort. It sounds like you are willing to accommodate. Search outdoor enclosures on here for ideas. How many tortoises do you have and what type? As you know Pennsylvania has cold winters so you will definitely need to plan for a heated enclosure.

super_jane

5 Year Member
I will work on swaying my parents for the winter but, I was a little grouchy toward the idea and I am sorry but this whole situation in so frustrating. Could you help me out by sending me a link to a good outside enclosure?

I have one leopard tortoise. Its smaller than my hand.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
super_jane said:
It was a clamp lamp and the children were playing and knocked it into the enclosure. It was indeed securely on they helped me mount it, it was simply knocked off. What is the safest lamp? I will try...

It was secure and mounted but the kids knocked it over rather easy? You can go to Home Depot get a clamp light hang it by a hook from the roof, actually mount it meaning not use the clamp but use some screws or making a mount. Outdoor can work but what do you plan for the winter? If you can use lights indoor they probably won't allow a heated hide outside, leopards don't hibernate and PA does have winters months. Good luck your best bet is to talk to your parents and figure out how to make the light secure enough where a kid can't knock it over, or no kids around the tortoise

zman7590

5 Year Member
Use a 2 by 4 and screw all ur fixtures into it

Sent from my SGH-T769 using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.