Lighting

David Ablett

After some advice... (lighting setup) currently in the process of upgrading my 2 marginated tortoises enclosure to give them more space! The new enclosure is just over double is size! For substrate we are just using sterilised top soil with coco noir as they seem to like that best.

My question is, with
Regard to lighting, is a 40" 10.0 uvb tube with reflector and 2 x basking spots enough? Or Am I better to invest in 1 x mercury vapour bulb and ditch the uv strip? Is there such thing as too much uv? I'm aware I need a "cooler" area of the enclosure, but it is big enough for 2 basking areas! Any help is much appreciated!ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1492266132.494150.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1492266188.830076.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I don't have any advice for you, but HOLEY COW!!! That's a mess of shoes!!! How many people live with you anyway?

Let's send a shout-out to @Markw84 about the lighting.

(I DO think that space is still too small for two tortoises of the size I can see in the picture)

David Ablett

Erm... yeah. The two tortoises are only 5 inches big, so enclosure is definitely big enough!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Erm... yeah. The two tortoises are only 5 inches big, so enclosure is definitely big enough!

If that picture is of the new enclosure, it is nowhere near big enough. The minimum size for a single 5" tortoise should be 4x8', and bigger would be better.

Also, tortoises should not be housed in pairs. Because you've gotten away with it and the tortoise are still alive does not make it a good policy and it is not good for the tortoises.

About the lighting question: My preferences would be to stick with the tube and two basking lamps. MVBs stop producing UV too soon nowadays. Yes you can have too much UV, but that would be tough to do with a regular 10.0 tube.

David Ablett

Thanks for the response. With the care guides I have been following it advised that the enclosure will be big enough? I mean for the time being we have built it as big as we can. During the summer months they will be out in an outdoor run during the day time, 8' x 4'.

Great, I will get a 40" tube then at 10% which will fill the long side! I'll get a reflector to match also. 2 basking spots sounds great, I can put the other one up shortly!

With regard to keeping them together, we had issues initially and separated them, but both of them then became very inactive and were not eating. After speaking with our reptile vet, we then made the decision to put them back together and see. That was over a year ago and they are inseparable! No fighting, they share the food, water and basking area! If there was any sign of aggression then I would separate immediately.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1492345815.490201.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1492345824.342129.jpg