Lighting Vs temperature

Rsek

Location (City and/or State)
London, UK
Looking for some advice on temperature Vs lights, particularly in the view that I want to move to closed chamber soon. I have a Arcadia d3+UV flood (12%) @55w plus neorep reptiglobe MVB plus CHE (which in the summer is barely used anyway as it is on a temp drop probe...I also have a white led strip but that produces virtually no heat, just adds a bit of light down the cooler end. My question is, without damaging the bulbs with thermostat, or having to constantly sit and monitor, how do you stop it getting TOO hot, particularly in summer, but still provide enough light that he doesn't just bury himself, but maintain a good temperature , especially in the summer or heatwaves (I'm in the UK so I don't anticipate it will be as much of an issue in the winter)
N.b he's a adult russian but I've only been his custodian for a couple of months

daniellenc

Maryland
You could just ditch the CHE and still maintain all the lights. Give it a shot and see what your temps are.

Rsek

London, UK
The Che doesn't really come on in the summer anyway as it is set on a thermometer plug with probe to only come on if the temperature at night drops below what it should

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Personally, I wouldn't use a closed chamber for an adult russian, but if your climate and house temps require that, you'll just have to experiment and find the right wattage bulbs. I usually use 65 watt floods, but in my warm reptile room, I ended up having to go with 43 watt round bulbs to get the correct basking and ambient temps in my new Animal Plastics closed chambers. In your case, I'd use a lower wattage flood or round incandescent bulb, the CHE on the thermostat set to keep night temps from dropping too low at any time of year, and the LEDs for light. You can then add an Arcadia HO tube for UV. Which type of UV tube would depend on the mounting height.

Rsek

London, UK
Personally, I wouldn't use a closed chamber for an adult russian, but if your climate and house temps require that, you'll just have to experiment and find the right wattage bulbs. I usually use 65 watt floods, but in my warm reptile room, I ended up having to go with 43 watt round bulbs to get the correct basking and ambient temps in my new Animal Plastics closed chambers. In your case, I'd use a lower wattage flood or round incandescent bulb, the CHE on the thermostat set to keep night temps from dropping too low at any time of year, and the LEDs for light. You can then add an Arcadia HO tube for UV. Which type of UV tube would depend on the mounting height.
What type of house is better in your opinion (I've not built it fully so have time to change plans [emoji4] and would be grateful for guidance)

Rsek

London, UK
I'm a bit worried about winter without something to keep the heat in (I know Russian's can hibernate but he never has been + has been in my care less than a year)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What type of house is better in your opinion (I've not built it fully so have time to change plans [emoji4] and would be grateful for guidance)
It seems like everyone in the UK keeps their homes very cold in the winter. We usually don't do that over here. If the room temp is getting below 20 C, then a closed chamber might be best for your situation.

Kaylin99

London
I'm a bit worried about winter without something to keep the heat in (I know Russian's can hibernate but he never has been + has been in my care less than a year)

Thinkning about buying the same Arcadia D3 UV Flood bulb for my one year old indoor Russian tort in the uk, was it okay in the end?