Lighting set up....send help!

Sruh92

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
I recently got a baby Florida box turtle. The hardest thing im struggling with is getting his light set up correct. I've been doing my research but keep finding mixed answers. So I'm coming here to get all over your opinions on how you all have your lights set up for your enclosure? Any help would be wonderful. I also attached a picture of his set up right now.

Attachments

• 20210430_111127.jpg
    20210430_111127.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Here's how I set up my baby box turtles. I had three species, so I divided the Christmas Tree Storage Bin into three sections. I use a T-5 Fluorescent tube UVB light, hung over the center of the tub, and a black light fixture at each end:

baby box turtle enclosure a.jpgbaby box turtle enclosure b.jpg

Many, many plants diffuse the harsh lighting and aid in keeping it humid. . . prayer plants, pothos, I see some volunteer tomato plants too. I know most folks on this Forum don't approve of the black bulb, but I've been using it for over 30 years for night time heat and I haven't had a bit of trouble using this type light. To me it's just like moonlight. ALL of my turtles and tortoises SLEEP at night. I NEVER have seen any of them up and about at night. The black light doesn't interfere with their sleep cycle.