Lighting Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortnerd

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hey, I'm sorry if this question is as idiotic as I think it might be, but:

I've been doing research on lighting, and what I thought I needed doesn't seem to be adequate. Tortoises need a UVA light, and a UVB (or is t UVA-B?) light, correct? I have a UVA light. I was looking up UVB lights, and what I found was that most UVB lights don't work well enough? Is that correct? And that the ones that do work are about $75 dollars?

I hate to sound so cheap, but I really don't have a lot of money. Does anyone know of a way to get adequate UVB without spending a fortune? If I took him/her out into the sunshine for a couple hours each day, would that be enough?

I feel really dumb, or may be I'm just making this way more complicated than it needs to be.
This is the lamp I think I need:
http://www.reptileuv.com/megaray-sb-100-watt-self-ballasted-flood-uvb-lamp.php
Is that correct? It's so expensive!
Please help :(

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
Tortnerd. Yep a uvb bulb is what you need there are lots of different type. the megaray you have listed is about $50 with shipping. But Yes you can get them outside now that the weather is better for a couple of hours a day and that should do it for now while you save for that bulb. Remember that is also a heat bulb. You can also buy a florescent uvb bulb that is a little cheaper. If I am correct you are getting a RT. Here are some lights for you to concider besides the megaray although that is one of the bulbs of choice as are the t-rex mercury vapor bulb as far as I am concerned. I like the idea of spending only the cost of one bulb for heat and uvb. But during the summer months I put mine outside daily and that is the uvb they need. Also watch e-bay for the bulbs sometimes they are cheeper.

http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor-summary.htm

hystrix

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi,

I use T-rex active UV/heat mercury vapour 100W, too.
I used to use Zoomed 5.0 tube. I really like the T-rex bulb. Ever since I started using it, one of my tortoise who didn't eat much started eating much better.

I know it's expensive, but it supposed to last for at least a few years whereas with fluorescent tube, I think you are supposed to replace every 6 months or so for optimum output. So in a long run, it is not so bad.

It also provide heat. My tortoises are much more active now. I'm not sure if this is because of the UV or extra heat the lamp provides..

Some people don't use UV light at all and have good results. But I think you have to make sure you provide enough supplements (vitamin D3). It seems a bit tricky because no one knows the correct dosage to provide, even scientists... Too much can be toxic.

You can shop around online for a good deal. My favorite online store is reptilesupply.com. I got my bulb for about 38 dollars from there on sale. I think regular price is about $44 there, still not bad. Not the fastest as far as the delivery time, but definitely one of the cheapest online reptile supply store I know. lllreptile.com sometimes have the similar deal, but I have never gotten anything from them. Right now, they seems to be out of 100w though.

Hope this helps.
Good luck :)

Em

Status
Not open for further replies.