Lighting issues as well as a check-in on tortoise health

addyson123

Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
I may be way off base here, but for a full grown Russian tortoise, like yours, I think the MVB is ok. Just be sure to hang it high enough that it doesn't burn the tortoise's shell. I used them for years and the only problem I had with them was with baby tortoises, young, growing tortoises, which yours is not.

Provide a big enough enclosure with plenty of shade-making objects in it. For example plants, whether real or fake, decorations, etc. Give him a couple hiding places to choose from.

The problem with keeping a Russian tortoise indoors is it's hard to give them a big enough enclosure. Russian tortoises are hard wired to wander great distances looking for food. When contained in an indoor enclosure that's not big enough they dig at the corners, pace the walls, try to climb out. The very best place for a full grown Russian tortoise is in a save and secure outdoor pen/yard.

Okay, thank you. I'm considering getting an outdoor pen but I think he'd only be able to be out there during the summer as it gets very cold during the other seasons here. In your experience did the MVB bulbs run out sooner than others? The basking bulb I'm using right now has been really faulty and has burned out about once a month or so. Also, what is your experience with CHI bulbs? If I got a thermometer and/or a temp. gun to make sure it's not too hot, do you think that having both of these as well as possibly a regular LED bulb for light would be a good setup?

addyson123

Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
There are four elements to heating and lighting:
  1. Basking bulb. I use 65 watt floods from the hardware store. I run them on a timer for 12 hours and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them. You can mount a fixture on the ceiling, or hang a dome lamp from the ceiling. Go lower or higher wattage if this makes the enclosure too hot or not warm enough. Do not use "spot" bulbs, mercury vapor bulbs or halogen bulbs.
  2. Ambient heat maintenance. Unless your house gets unusually cold at night, you can skip this step for a Russian or other Testudo species. Night lows above 60 require no night heat for Testudo species.
  3. Light. I use florescent tubes for this purpose. Something in the 5000-6500K color range will look the best. Most tubes at the store are in the 2500K range and they look yellowish. I've been using LEDs lately and they are great, and run cooler than a florescent. This can be set on the same timer as the basking bulb. If your tortoises room is already adequately lit, you don't need this one either.
  4. UV. If you can get your tortoise outside in a safe secure enclosure for an hour 2 or 3 times a week, you won't need indoor UV. If you want it anyway, get one of the newer HO type fluorescent tubes. Which type will depend on mounting height. It helps to have a UV meter to test and see what your bulb is actually putting out at your mounting height. Plexi-glass or screen tops will filter out some or all of the UV produced by your bulb. Regular "T 8" type UV tubes produce hardly any UV. CFL type UV bulbs are also ineffective, and sometimes dangerous, and should not be used.

Do you think you could put a link to what bulbs you use? I'm still struggling trying to find one near me. Also, just to be sure, if I got a flood light and a regular LED light that would be plenty?