Lighting distance/temperature

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Just placed the order for the new lighting thanks a lot for all the help, ive had my tort for a year now, been and spoken to so many "professional" reptile stores and none of them really helped at all so I'll be back here for future queries ?
Pet shops don't usually understand tortoise care or what products are needed. Sounds crazy, but its true.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yea im starting tonsee it more and more its dreadful
Agreed. Dreadful is a good descriptive word for this problem. Unfortunately, its similar with most vets, breeders, and "experts" too.

Lucky for you and your tortoise that you found us and decided to start a conversation. Feel free to ask lots of questions. Ask us to explain all the contradictions you find. Other people likely have these same questions, and hundreds or thousands of people will learn the answers at the same time as you.

Lewis516

Bristol
Agreed. Dreadful is a good descriptive word for this problem. Unfortunately, its similar with most vets, breeders, and "experts" too.

Lucky for you and your tortoise that you found us and decided to start a conversation. Feel free to ask lots of questions. Ask us to explain all the contradictions you find. Other people likely have these same questions, and hundreds or thousands of people will learn the answers at the same time as you.
Sounds good to me i think im mostly good for now but im sure I'll be back

SLB

New Mexico
Thanks for the info the guy I've been talking too just sounded like he knew his stuff also online searching doesnt get me very far there's never a direct "this is best" or "this isnt good" answer to the questions i have.

So i currently have a small enclosure for my tort i plan on doubling the length and refurbishing the greenhouse into an outdoor home for the summers along with an outdoor run. I know no lighting beats the natural sun but with the uk weather i cant really put the tort out permanently all year round.

Could you send me a few links to the correct bulbs and strip light equipment please, i currently have two 2 in 1 thermometers and hydrometers one is under the basking spot and the other is in the hide but no matter how far up i raise the light the temperature doesnt drop below 38°c. I think 100 watt max would be fine i dont really know why the guy told me to upgrade to a 160 watt one its just too hot. I also have the basking bulb on for 12 hours a day which i was also recommended not sure if thats correct either, ive spoken to so many people and no one ever says the same thing.

But yea if you could send a link to the correct basking bulb and strip light that would be amazing thank you.
Consult www.arcadiareptile.com; they have lots of good lighting advice and products

Lewis516

Bristol
Back again, i was just wondering how far up from the substrate should i fix the strip light?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Back again, i was just wondering how far up from the substrate should i fix the strip light?
The only way to know that precisely is to measure the UVB with a solarmeter 6.5.

If you don't want to buy one of those, then go by the directions on the box. I believe it's 18-20 inches above the tort's shell, but check the box.

And it does have to be mounted on the ceiling of the enclosure...not on a wall.

Lewis516

Bristol
The only way to know that precisely is to measure the UVB with a solarmeter 6.5.

If you don't want to buy one of those, then go by the directions on the box. I believe it's 18-20 inches above the tort's shell, but check the box.

And it does have to be mounted on the ceiling of the enclosure...not on a wall.
I have a tortoise table but it wouldnt be too hard to build a ceiling mount for it.

It says a minimum height of 10 inches but it doesnt have any tortoise directions.16249887743962962465402900359823.jpg16249889053327868412606922519962.jpg

Joemunro

Hull
The basking lamp needs to be on at least 12 hours a day. It is to simulate the sun. The UV tube is only on for a couple hours to simulate the mid day UV spike that happens outside all day.

Your previous bulb is a mercury vapor bulb. The bulb Karen linked for you is an incandescent bulb.
I’ve heard you mention a uv meter for getting the distance of your UVB tube light? What sort of reading are you looking for on the meter reading?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’ve heard you mention a uv meter for getting the distance of your UVB tube light? What sort of reading are you looking for on the meter reading?

Opinions vary on this, and everything seems to work. The two schools of thought are 1. Lower levels with longer duration, or 2. Higher levels with shorter duration.

I choose 2, and I look for a UVI level of around 4-6 for that. For option one, I'd look for a UVI of around 2-3.

Joemunro

Hull

Opinions vary on this, and everything seems to work. The two schools of thought are 1. Lower levels with longer duration, or 2. Higher levels with shorter duration.

I choose 2, and I look for a UVI level of around 4-6 for that. For option one, I'd look for a UVI of around 2-3.
What are the pros and cons of 1. Vs 2.?

Joemunro

Hull

Also what are the consequences for giving a tortoise to much uvb? Or would it just move out the light once it’s had enough?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What are the pros and cons of 1. Vs 2.?
Its just personal preference. I do it my way because once you have a meter and start testing the sun outside, you'll see there is a strong mid day UV spike, and UV is very weak in the late morning and late afternoon. When I first got my meter, I pulled it out of the box, went outside with it around 4:15 pm and pointed it it straight at the hot sun. It said 0.0 - 0.1. I though it must be malfunctioning. The sun was hot on my skin, but no UV at all? Same thing early the next morning. Eager to test it out, I pulled out the meter around 9 am and got another reading of 0.0. Bummer, I thought. I'll have to send it back... I tried again around 11:00am and got a reading of 3-4. By noon it was reading 5-6. Intrigued I started checking the UV level several times each day for a while. I was surprised at how little UV there was for most of every day. My efforts to get tortoises outside late in the day in winter for some UV were pointless. Likewise in the early mornings in summer.

Either of the two ways I listed in post number 31 will work. I've never seen either method fail. Tortoises really have to go a long time with no D3 in the diet, and no UV at all to start getting MBD problems. It happens in severe cases of neglect with incorrect housing and poor diet, but even then its rare to see it. Anyone giving their tortoise occasional outdoor sunning sessions, D3 supplementation in the diet through calcium powder or something like Mazuri, and using some indoor UV is not going to have MBD problems.

Joemunro

Hull
Its just personal preference. I do it my way because once you have a meter and start testing the sun outside, you'll see there is a strong mid day UV spike, and UV is very weak in the late morning and late afternoon. When I first got my meter, I pulled it out of the box, went outside with it around 4:15 pm and pointed it it straight at the hot sun. It said 0.0 - 0.1. I though it must be malfunctioning. The sun was hot on my skin, but no UV at all? Same thing early the next morning. Eager to test it out, I pulled out the meter around 9 am and got another reading of 0.0. Bummer, I thought. I'll have to send it back... I tried again around 11:00am and got a reading of 3-4. By noon it was reading 5-6. Intrigued I started checking the UV level several times each day for a while. I was surprised at how little UV there was for most of every day. My efforts to get tortoises outside late in the day in winter for some UV were pointless. Likewise in the early mornings in summer.

Either of the two ways I listed in post number 31 will work. I've never seen either method fail. Tortoises really have to go a long time with no D3 in the diet, and no UV at all to start getting MBD problems. It happens in severe cases of neglect with incorrect housing and poor diet, but even then its rare to see it. Anyone giving their tortoise occasional outdoor sunning sessions, D3 supplementation in the diet through calcium powder or something like Mazuri, and using some indoor UV is not going to have MBD problems.
Thank you Tom, again always such a knowledgeable answer. I’ve been looking into mazuri tonight funny you should mention it. In the UK I’ve just been looking on eBay, but no description of what is actually in it? Is it suitable for Russian torts?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you Tom, again always such a knowledgeable answer. I’ve been looking into mazuri tonight funny you should mention it. In the UK I’ve just been looking on eBay, but no description of what is actually in it? Is it suitable for Russian torts?
It is suitable for all tortoises. There are two types now. The original, Mazuri 5M21, is liked by most tortoises. The ingredients list is not impressive on paper, but the results from feeding it as a supplemental food are tried and true. I feed it to all but the true giants.

The other type is the newer one called Mazuri LS. LS stands for low starch. Tis one has different ingredients and was meant to appeal to people who didn't care for the ingredients in the original. Most torts don't like this type initially, but all grow to like it just fine after an introductory period.

Joemunro

Hull
It is suitable for all tortoises. There are two types now. The original, Mazuri 5M21, is liked by most tortoises. The ingredients list is not impressive on paper, but the results from feeding it as a supplemental food are tried and true. I feed it to all but the true giants.

The other type is the newer one called Mazuri LS. LS stands for low starch. Tis one has different ingredients and was meant to appeal to people who didn't care for the ingredients in the original. Most torts don't like this type initially, but all grow to like it just fine after an introductory period.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have no experience with that brand, but it sure looks like Mazuri. I have not heard anything bad about it. I recall thinking that Nutrazu is the brand name for Mazuri over there, but I could be mistaken...

On the add you linked, there are several ads for Mazuri on the top.

Joemunro

Hull
I have no experience with that brand, but it sure looks like Mazuri. I have not heard anything bad about it. I recall thinking that Nutrazu is the brand name for Mazuri over there, but I could be mistaken...

On the add you linked, there are several ads for Mazuri on the top.

After looking into it, there seems to be very little difference in the ingredients, I’ll go with the genuine mazuri… what is it that makes it so good out of curiosity?