Light stand

Marjenn

Before I moved, I used to have my tortoise and turtle on a wire rack and secured their dome lights to a shelf. Not using a rack is not practical. So I'm looking at the Zoomed light stands. One enclosure is 15 inches and the other 18 inches tall, and I'm using Tuff stock tanks. I use the 100 watt MVB bulbs and I think in the future I'll want to get the fixtures to support two bulbs, so that maybe I can have an additional heat bulb. The MVB didn't seem to produce enough heat My dilemma is I don't know whether to get the small size or full size. The full size has a minimum height of 20 inches, while the small size has a maximum height of 24 inches, which seems more than enough and I can probably get the MVB around 12 inches from the top of their shells and see how that goes. Basically, the small size seems to allow more fine-tuning, but I could be missing something...

Is there a reason to use the full size over the small size? More sturdy?

I'm not thrilled to use these stands and I hope I can assemble them. I'm not very handy so I just need a simple solution.

daniellenc

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I bought the small size for my enclosure and it's perfectly adequate......I have no tortoise in there yet but I have temp gunned the bottom of the tank to get the right height to maintain a 90 degree hot spot with my powersun 100 watt UVB bulb. My only complaint while the stand itself is metal, the screws are cheap plastic so I wonder how durable it will be overtime. Another weird thing is when you assemble the stand the holes for the screws aren't very deep. Kinda hard to explain but I was worried with the screws being plastic and the shallow area to screw into it wouldn't hold well but I was wrong. It's actually quite sturdy.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I have some home made light stands and several of the Zoo Med stands, both large and small. I like them. I even improvised a longer bar so the large stand would work over the 4' long plastic tub I was using.

christmas tree bin a.jpg