light/heat help

rafsmum

Location (City and/or State)
wirral uk
Now that you mention it, you did occasionally try my patience...????

I think it looks fine.

You might need another CHE...it's a pretty good amount of space for just one. They can both go on the same thermostat if you got one with 2 plug in thingies.

This is when a temp gun is really useful. You just point it at Raf's shell and it instantly tells you the temp of his shell. The only other method is to put something about his height directly under the CHE and leave it there for an hour with a thermometer laying on it. You could use a rock, or brick, or a piece of slate.

I don't think it should be too hot where it is, but only a thermo can be sure.
Hikaren
So I put a small; box ion his pen ( a small one that contained a speaker; its around the same height/width as his back) the temp seems to have stabilised at 30.5 ( around 87 I think. Will that harmn him if he sits under it for ages or is it ok? id like to think he can get warm enough as the rest of it is only reaching about 18 in parts. if thats safe i will leave it where it is. Its just in front of his hide too so hopefully it wont be too cold. His little heat pad is still in his hide to, behind glass ( only about 4w)

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hikaren
So I put a small; box ion his pen ( a small one that contained a speaker; its around the same height/width as his back) the temp seems to have stabilised at 30.5 ( around 87 I think. Will that harmn him if he sits under it for ages or is it ok? id like to think he can get warm enough as the rest of it is only reaching about 18 in parts. if thats safe i will leave it where it is. Its just in front of his hide too so hopefully it wont be too cold. His little heat pad is still in his hide to, behind glass ( only about 4w)

You need to get the temps up higher. Redfoot like it warm and humid. Remember they come from tropical rain forests in Brazil.

I think the 30.5 is good, but 18 is way too low. You should get another CHE, and make it a higher wattage one, at least 100 watts.

Back in post # 5 the care sheet was linked for you. Check that for proper temps for redfoot. I'm going to tag another member for recommended temps for adult redfoot.

@Toddrickfl1 What are recommended temps for adult redfoot?

rafsmum

wirral uk
You need to get the temps up higher. Redfoot like it warm and humid. Remember they come from tropical rain forests in Brazil.

I think the 30.5 is good, but 18 is way too low. You should get another CHE, and make it a higher wattage one, at least 100 watts.

Back in post # 5 the care sheet was linked for you. Check that for proper temps for redfoot. I'm going to tag another member for recommended temps for adult redfoot.

the che IS 100w. By the way dont forget hes never had a che or a covered home in his 7 yrs, he lived outside all summer too! :O (I will not be doing that! he will go out in the day when it is warm but in at night! )
But i am aware the temps should be around 80 -85. I was hoping this would be achieved once id covered it. It is rather cold under the stairs though as it backs onto the garage. I am going to try and insulate the walls to keep heat in and also he only has a temp cover for now which i think is letting air in.

So, would i be better to have 2 x 100w ches and then remove one in summer when it is hot, or have one 150w che? I would prefer the latter if possible as i am already overloading an extension lead!! LOL But whatever is best for him, i will do. he was out and about yesterday mooching about under his uvb, but he did have a chill under the che as i said. Good that 30.5 isnt too hot for him.

ISU

South Korea
I have a 5x2x2 closed chamber. When I used the 150w CHE, I noticed that my leopard's skin was getting a little dry.
It raised the chamber temp really fast, but it seemed too hot. So I use 2 x 100w

rafsmum

wirral uk
I have a 5x2x2 closed chamber. When I used the 150w CHE, I noticed that my leopard's skin was getting a little dry.
It raised the chamber temp really fast, but it seemed too hot. So I use 2 x 100w
thank you
Did you keep a therm attached to it? This is another thing, i only have one socket in the thermostat, so would mean one che would be unstatted too. My height is much higher than yours, too, so that could make a difference i guess

ISU

South Korea
thank you
Did you keep a therm attached to it? This is another thing, i only have one socket in the thermostat, so would mean one che would be unstatted too. My height is much higher than yours, too, so that could make a difference i guess
Yes, I have 2 sockets and each one has a thermostat. If yours is higher and bigger than mine, maybe it's okay.
But you'd better wait for more experienced veterans advice

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga

I keep my thermostats set to 84F, which is about 28-29C.

rafsmum

wirral uk
Yes, I have 2 sockets and each one has a thermostat. If yours is higher and bigger than mine, maybe it's okay.
But you'd better wait for more experienced veterans advice
thank you
So any advice peoples?
am i best getting a 150w che or having 2 100w ones. I doubt i will need 2 come summer, it will just be for winter, and i can also replace the 150w with a 100w come summer if i use that option.
hes spent a good bit of time out and about today and even more time sitting under the che!
tbf hes never had 80 degree temps before but id rather know he was warm enough
hes started eating weeds now at long last too. hed been fed various veggies i think, but hes starting to enjoy the weeds i collect at work!

Jan A

Boulder, CO
I keep my thermostats set to 84F, which is about 28-29C.
thank you
So any advice peoples?
am i best getting a 150w che or having 2 100w ones. I doubt i will need 2 come summer, it will just be for winter, and i can also replace the 150w with a 100w come summer if i use that option.
hes spent a good bit of time out and about today and even more time sitting under the che!
tbf hes never had 80 degree temps before but id rather know he was warm enough
hes started eating weeds now at long last too. hed been fed various veggies i think, but hes starting to enjoy the weeds i collect at work!
In all my reading here on the forum, most torts seem to improve & start eating again when their temperatures, humidity & lights get in the ranges set out by experienced tort owners here on TF. Yes, there are variations according to the type of tort you own, your enclosure, your equipment, etc. But you're winning the challenge. Congrats!!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Use 2 CHE's. It gives you more control. Also, like you said, you'll probably only need 1. So you might want to put something different in the empty socket. Maybe a grow light for plants?

You do need to get another t'stat. This time get 1 with 2 plugs ins.

rafsmum

wirral uk
Use 2 CHE's. It gives you more control. Also, like you said, you'll probably only need 1. So you might want to put something different in the empty socket. Maybe a grow light for plants?

You do need to get another t'stat. This time get 1 with 2 plugs ins.
i am not buying another stat! i have spent a fortune already! I should have been told to buy one with 2 sockets in. ive bought everything ive been told to! i am not rich, i cannot just waste money buying things i am not going to use, sorry
. Thats why i thought of buying a 150w bulb

rafsmum

wirral uk
In all my reading here on the forum, most torts seem to improve & start eating again when their temperatures, humidity & lights get in the ranges set out by experienced tort owners here on TF. Yes, there are variations according to the type of tort you own, your enclosure, your equipment, etc. But you're winning the challenge. Congrats!!
my tort eats like a gannet lol

Zoeclare

Uk
Hi, I know it is frustrating when you need to fork out extra, honestly, I have a cupboard full of useless stuff from Nitros enclosure. I genuinely think that just getting a 150 watt che will create a super hot spot right underneath it and you will still struggle to get the ambient temperature correct. I use 2 ches and a radient heat panel, and unfortunately, each one does need its own thermostat so you can adjust the temperatures as you need too

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
i am not buying another stat! i have spent a fortune already! I should have been told to buy one with 2 sockets in. ive bought everything ive been told to! i am not rich, i cannot just waste money buying things i am not going to use, sorry
You can use an extension cord with more than one plug. Then plug both heat sources into the extension cord and plug the extension cord into the thermostat.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Depending on where the second Che would go, it might be handy to have the second thermostat independent from the original one you bought. If the placement is going to be in a spot away from the other Che, to set things up easier with all of the cables, it might be beneficial to have the 2nd thermostat versus one with 2 plugs. It absolutely wouldn’t be a waste of money. The recommendation here isn’t a “nice to have”, it’s a necessity to provide your tortoise the environment it needs to be healthy and thrive. Nobody on here could possibly predict that you would need 2 che’s because it’s impossible for anyone to know all of the variables that would cause your temps to be too cool or too warm in the makeshift enclosure you’ve made. It’s not fair to blame anyone on here for not telling you to buy a thermostat with 2 plugs. I believe that buying a 150 watt Che will not solve the issue. You’ll have to have a very hot spot (too hot) to get all areas to have the ambient temperature your tortoise requires. The best solution is a 2nd Che and it is dangerous to use a Che without a thermostat. I feel your pain with the spending. I am setting up a new enclosure and bought a thermostat with a single plug and single cycle feature, only to quickly realize I would need a 2nd Che and then discovered that there’s dual cycle thermostats (where you can set a temp for daytime and another for night time). My tortoise needs must be met for him to be healthy, so I chose to pay for the new thermostat to run both Che’s. In the end, it’s made my life easier and gives him what he needs. It was worth the investment even though it was hard to swallow at the time.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club

Post # 42:

The important part of this linked post is this:

Since I thought you might need a che at each end, I linked one that has 2 sockets on it.

If you're sure you will only use 1, then that works.

Last edited:

rafsmum

wirral uk
Depending on where the second Che would go, it might be handy to have the second thermostat independent from the original one you bought. If the placement is going to be in a spot away from the other Che, to set things up easier with all of the cables, it might be beneficial to have the 2nd thermostat versus one with 2 plugs. It absolutely wouldn’t be a waste of money. The recommendation here isn’t a “nice to have”, it’s a necessity to provide your tortoise the environment it needs to be healthy and thrive. Nobody on here could possibly predict that you would need 2 che’s because it’s impossible for anyone to know all of the variables that would cause your temps to be too cool or too warm in the makeshift enclosure you’ve made. It’s not fair to blame anyone on here for not telling you to buy a thermostat with 2 plugs. I believe that buying a 150 watt Che will not solve the issue. You’ll have to have a very hot spot (too hot) to get all areas to have the ambient temperature your tortoise requires. The best solution is a 2nd Che and it is dangerous to use a Che without a thermostat. I feel your pain with the spending. I am setting up a new enclosure and bought a thermostat with a single plug and single cycle feature, only to quickly realize I would need a 2nd Che and then discovered that there’s dual cycle thermostats (where you can set a temp for daytime and another for night time). My tortoise needs must be met for him to be healthy, so I chose to pay for the new thermostat to run both Che’s. In the end, it’s made my life easier and gives him what he needs. It was worth the investment even though it was hard to swallow at the time.
i wasnt blaming anyone. I guess the typed word is often misconstrued. Maybe i should've worded it, i wish id been told that. I couldnt blame people anyway when its via messaging. Things get mixed up. for example i was told i didnt need a uvb and just to use an led at one point and had to question it as i had read that he did indeed need a uvb.
I took this tortoise to give him a home and unfortunately was told he had everything he needed. if id not gone googling, hed still just have that now, although i would have extended his home as it was tiny. Its just been a bit of a shock having so many things to pay for. I nearly had heart failure when told i needed the arcardia thing and it was virtually £50!! We love Raf though and want to do the best for him, hence why i have got all these things. hes only been in an open topped enclosure with no CHE, just a tiny 4w heat pad in his hide for 7 years, so he warmer now than he was. I am wondering if i didnt have it covered correctly because i added some more plastic sheets over the top and today its been 25 in some areas and between 24 and 20 in the rest. the humidity has also gone from 60 to 70, so its way more than he had. I am concerned that with another che and stat i will also have 5 things plugged into one extension lead which is not good. if the enclosure isnt getting mega hot, why do i need 2 stats? i dont really understand. he doesnt have the che plugged into the stat now, i just have the stat on so i can see the temp. if one ws without, one had a stat, surely if the encl got too hot it would switch the one on the stat off/down accordingly so it wont get too hot?
The other thing is i dont know where another would go, as the uvb strip is going right across the right hand side, and i think it'd be dangerous to hang a che over it?

rafsmum

wirral uk
Post # 42:

The important part of this linked post is this:

Since I thought you might need a che at each end, I linked one that has 2 sockets on it.

If you're sure you will only use 1, then that works.
i wasnt blaming you for anything karen. i just meant i wish i had known
i do remember seeing this post but didnt remember it was for 2 ches, sorry. My head has been battered.
Apologies if you thought i was having a go, i wasnt! I just never seem to be able to get this sorted properly!
The temps are a it higher today. hes wuffed his dinner. Straight over to it. I have found a great source of weeds at my place of work!

rafsmum

wirral uk
You can use an extension cord with more than one plug. Then plug both heat sources into the extension cord and plug the extension cord into the thermostat.
i already have an extension lead as we dont have a socket near his pen. id worry about adding another ext lead, due to fire risk, but thank you for the tip :)

rafsmum

wirral uk
ooh i have just been reading back.
It says leave the probe at tort height. (id forgotten that too karen! I have had it on the floor, and of course the substrate is damp under the orchid bark, So it will show as colder there, wont it? silly me!
I will move it up a bit to tort height and see if that makes any difference. its been at around 23 mainly today
That may be because i moved the che to a more central position on the left hand side, it was more over to the front so maybe wasnt spreading heat towards the back. That was with the probe on the floor