Light distance?

nikitab

Should heat lamps be a certain distance from the tortoise table? My tort doesn't ever like being directly under his basking spot and his substrate underneath seems very hot, should I raise my light further up?
What distance is best?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Should heat lamps be a certain distance from the tortoise table? My tort doesn't ever like being directly under his basking spot and his substrate underneath seems very hot, should I raise my light further up?
What distance is best?
That would depend on the type and wattage of the light.
How are you measuring temperatures?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What distance is best?

The mounting distance should be determined by both your thermostat and your tortoises behavior. If he's avoiding the basking area, then it may be too hot.

What species are we talking about? What is the temp directly under the bulb?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
The optimal distance should be listed on the bulbs packaging, if it is a purpose built reptile basking lamp / UVB.
If you haven't got this have a check on Wiki.

nikitab

He's a horsefield tortoise, I'm waiting on the delivery of a new light holder so I can get a new uv/heat light
I'm unsure of the current bulb as it was fitted when I got the tortoise last week

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He's a horsefield tortoise, I'm waiting on the delivery of a new light holder so I can get a new uv/heat light
I'm unsure of the current bulb as it was fitted when I got the tortoise last week

My post should have said thermometer, not thermostat.

Put a thermometer under the new bulb and let it cook for a couple of hours. Raise or lower it depending on the temperature.

M

Maggie Cummings

What distance is best?

On the box the bulb came in there should be a gauge telling you the distance. 'Generally' I put my bulbs 18 inches from the substrate. Most of my bulbs are 100 watts so they go from 12 inches to 18 inches depending on the species. Russians like it cooler. You need a thermometer so you can keep track of the heat and humidity. But for me I put the UVB bulb at a distance my limited experience tells me to. Russians like it cooler, Sulcata get it cooking.