Light Bulb Ban

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I've already got a pretty good stash of incandescent bulbs.
The DOLLAR stores all have packs of 4 for a buck.
For mini floods, Home Depot and Lowes still has them. But it's clear that they're being pushed aside. They are often on clearance or off to the side.

jeneliza

burton michigan
I’ll ship ya some “LED” bulbs
i
I don't know whether CA is very different, but here in Michigan the stores sell mostly LED and CFL bulbs now, but the (heat-producing) incandescent bulbs are available but as "specialty" bulbs, at much higher prices than formerly. In fact you can get special "reptile heat" bulbs locally and on-line very easily. Does CA bar you from ordering specialty "reptile" bulbs from the hobbyist suppliers?
notices this over on my side of michigan, flint area, i dont use this type, i have to use flood heat, because my encloser, is a bit deep and i couldnt keep it warm enougth, with regular bulbs,

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yesterday I suggested 1000bulbs.com and yesterday they DID have 100 watt incandescent bulbs, but today they don't.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
According to everything I have read, all incandescent bulbs are banned from sale in CA. I've tried to order from multiple sites and they won't ship them here. I don't know what Petco and all the reptiles stores are going to do about this. I'll bet they just keep on selling their expensive reptile bulbs in the packages marked for reptiles, and no one will enforce this.

We were going the same way as you for the last couple of years. Mostly LED and CFL bulbs on the shelves, but we were still allowed to buy incandescents if we wanted them. As of January, were are no longer allowed to buy them, and stores cannot sell them. I haven't found the actual text of the law yet, so I'm not sure about possession. I sure hope the flight bulb police don't come and arrest me for being too inefficient...
@Tom As stated in my post above, "specialty bulbs manufactured and marketed for specific needs, not general lighting", are one of the exceptions listed in the law. Grow lights are specifically mentioned as an example. They do not specifically list "reptile basking lights" but i am sure it will fall under this category.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom, post your address & what kind of bulbs you want/need! Given ALL that you freely contribute to this forum, we can all send you a few bulbs as gifts!

At least we will know what you need for Christmas!
No way man! I'm not posting that here. Then the light bulb police will know exactly where to find me! Are you trying to get me busted??? :p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom As stated in my post above, "specialty bulbs manufactured and marketed for specific needs, not general lighting", are one of the exceptions listed in the law. Grow lights are specifically mentioned as an example. They do not specifically list "reptile basking lights" but i am sure it will fall under this category.
Problem is that I don't use or buy the "specialty type". The specialty ones, as you know, are unsuitable for our needs. I don't see why I shouldn't be allowed to order the bulbs that I'm using for "specialty" purposes and have them sent in. One more reason to be infuriated with the lunatic criminals running this once great state.

nandusnandus

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
Tom, you said it, "...once great state." While there are positive things to be said about California, it is very low on my list of places to reside. I deeply love our country. However, this totalitarianism seems to be effecting us all. The continual erosion of "our" core values, ideals upon which this nation was established, is very disturbing to me.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom, you said it, "...once great state." While there are positive things to be said about California, it is very low on my list of places to reside. I deeply love our country. However, this totalitarianism seems to be effecting us all. The continual erosion of "our" core values, ideals upon which this nation was established, is very disturbing to me.
I may be joining you in AZ in the not too distant future...

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Problem is that I don't use or buy the "specialty type". The specialty ones, as you know, are unsuitable for our needs. I don't see why I shouldn't be allowed to order the bulbs that I'm using for "specialty" purposes and have them sent in. One more reason to be infuriated with the lunatic criminals running this once great state.
This is actually a federal law from the Department of Energy. However, California, in its great wisdom applied for authority to have it go into effect in 2018 and was approved. Since then the lawsuits stopped it from being enforceable in other states until outcome of all the suits. So the ruling to limit enforcement does not apply to California!

jso

55*N, UK
Similar problem in the uk...halogen and other incandescent bulbs gradually phased out. I have relied on “Homebase” PAR 38 halogen floodlights for many years, and bought up quite a few when they were being reduced and phased out. Sadly my stock has now been used up, and I’m forced to buy relatively more expensive reptile bulbs. Or I could change all my fittings and use those little halogen “tubes“ that fit into external floodlights, but that means buying new fittings, and I wonder how long those, and the bulbs, will continue to be available. (The replacement security lights around my house last year were all LED.)
But at least it’s not yet illegal here to buy some kind of incandescent bulbs!

What are you going to do?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
That's bs... I'm sure we could all help each other with that if needed. In Oklahoma they are still ok to buy
They're still available in most of the states. But are getting scarce. They are more or less not being manufactured anymore. And will pretty soon be unavailable anywhere no matter the laws in our states. (Household incandescent)
"Specialty bulbs"will probably still be here and there at very high prices. Because they will then be specially produced. Like the LED lights were before they became the new standard.
The inexpensive incandescent bulb will soon be extinct. Period.

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
All I can say, is I'm glad I moved out of CA! Loved the state, but the politics were beyond awful.

I suppose you can still get ceramic heat emitters, and they never burn out, but need a separate light fixture now.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
They can pass all the light bulb laws they want.Picture 016.jpgPicture 019.jpgPicture 017.jpgPicture 021.jpgPicture 023.jpgPicture 024.jpgPicture 020.jpg All the flood lights are new old stock that I came across years ago, they are American made before zip codes. I have more bulbs. I use lamp dimmers and a kill a watt to set the needed wattage for what I'm using them for. To bad you are 3000 miles away @Tom. But if you get in a real pinch I can send you some.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They can pass all the light bulb laws they want.View attachment 290219View attachment 290220View attachment 290221View attachment 290223View attachment 290224View attachment 290225View attachment 290226 All the flood lights are new old stock that I came across years ago, they are American made before zip codes. I have more bulbs. I use lamp dimmers and a kill a watt to set the needed wattage for what I'm using them for. To bad you are 3000 miles away @Tom. But if you get in a real pinch I can send you some.
Thanks Len. I have a 6 pack in the garage still, and I can scrounge up a few more from around the ranch. I was trying to oder more because I like to have extras on hand. Glad I find out about these new laws before I ran out! I'll get in touch if I run out.

2turtletom

5 Year Member
Akron, Ohio
Tom, have they banned all the various incandescent bulbs that are specifically made for reptiles?

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

DEMOCRATS!!