Light aggrvation

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
so as i've made previous post about looking for a 48 10.0 T8 bulb well i was able to find the bulb's but haven't been able to find a fixture most of the bulbs i've come across are 36-40w bulbs while the fixtures i've come across are all 32w

so if anyone could link to either a place where i can find 32w 10.0 uvb tube or a fluorescent fixture above 32w i'd greatly appreciate it

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
That could be a problem. People told me to go to the hardware store but when you don't know what to ask you don't know if you're getting the right information so I broke down and just bought it from the reptile place. I actually got mine from LL L reptile online.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
That could be a problem. People told me to go to the hardware store but when you don't know what to ask you don't know if you're getting the right information so I broke down and just bought it from the reptile place. I actually got mine from LL L reptile online.

yeah i knew what i was looking for the only problem was finding a fixture in the correct watt's most of the bulbs are like 36-40 watts and the T8 fixtures would only accept 32watts i'm checking LLLreptiles now i was just hoping to be able to get a cheap fixture then buy the bulb. maybe someone will chime in and save me lol

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
has anyone used the site doctor's foster and smith they claim to have a 32w 48"uvb i asked just to make sure that was correct but was wondering if anyone has dealt with them before

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom seems to be the resident lighting expert.

Oh no. I get my info from @mikeh and Frances in the UK.

I had to look through a bunch, but I was able to find the fixtures I needed for regular bulb at Home Depot. I bet an online search would yield some cheaper results too.

Personally the regular UV bulbs are so weak, that I wouldn't bother. I now prefer the HO bulbs from Arcadia. They need special HO fixtures to run them, but if you live in a place where you depend on indoor UV for months at a time, there is nothing better. I use them just for good measure sometimes, even though I really don't need them.

I get mine from http://www.lightyourreptiles.com. Excellent customer service, fair prices, good equipment.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington

I had to look through a bunch, but I was able to find the fixtures I needed for regular bulb at Home Depot. I bet an online search would yield some cheaper results too.

Personally the regular UV bulbs are so weak, that I wouldn't bother. I now prefer the HO bulbs from Arcadia. They need special HO fixtures to run them, but if you live in a place where you depend on indoor UV for months at a time, there is nothing better. I use them just for good measure sometimes, even though I really don't need them.

I get mine from http://www.lightyourreptiles.com. Excellent customer service, fair prices, good equipment.
Sorry @mikeh and Frances  I did not mean any disrespect.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon

do they make T8HO? or just T5? i've found ton's of T5 but i'm concerned it'd be a little to bright

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
do they make T8HO? or just T5? i've found ton's of T5 but i'm concerned it'd be a little to bright
I think it is only H0 5.0.I have a 48 inch T5HO fixed year for my box turtle.they don't like a lot of bright light so I have lots of plants in there also. It is also about 15 inches above her shell so it's kind of a tall enclosure. I don't know anything about red foots however sorry.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon

would any T5 HO fixture work with Arcadia bulbs? or just the one's they sell for them?

mikeh

5 Year Member
Any T5HO tube (including Arcadia) will power on any T5HO fixture.

T5HO tube is NOT to be powered on T5 fixture.

Any T8 tube will power on any standard T8 fixture.

So called T8HO tube will also power on any standard T8 fixture.

Slight wattage discrepancy as mentioned by the OP is of no concern. The electronic ballast has some flexibility to handle couple watts difference.

Some of the fixtures sold by lightyourreptiles are aquarium specific fixtures and not the most ideal for reptile use.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
Any T5HO tube (including Arcadia) will power on any T5HO fixture.

T5HO tube is NOT to be powered on T5 fixture.

Any T8 tube will power on any standard T8 fixture.

So called T8HO tube will also power on any standard T8 fixture.

Slight wattage discrepancy as mentioned by the OP is of no concern. The electronic ballast has some flexibility to handle couple watts difference.

Some of the fixtures sold by lightyourreptiles are aquarium specific fixtures and not the most ideal for reptile use.

so a 36w bulb or a 40w bulb will work in a 32w fixture?

mikeh

5 Year Member
36 watt tube will definitely work on 32watt fixture.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom do the Arcadia bulbs run on any HO 5.0 fixture or do they have their own specific brand?
Should run on any, as far as I know. Double check the wattage and bulb length.