Lids for outdoor pens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mich

5 Year Member
This is a fantastic thread! This summer I'll be undertaking my first outdoor enclosure for me leopard tort and was worried about what to do as far as a lid so this threat helped a lot! Another thing I worry about is skunks. My leopard tort isn't a digger .. but skunks dig and I want to keep them OUT. We also have cats, racoons and birds to worry about. Not sure if I'll feel comfortable enough to leave my tort out over night :(

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
Its good to be concerned. The safest option is a good lid for the day, and bring the tort in at night. Even to just a large rubbermaid with substrate and night heat if needed.
Or, create a wood or rubbermaid hide on one end, with a floor, (heated if needed), that can be locked up so you can secure your tort in that at night and let him out in the am.

Mich

5 Year Member
I live in Ontario Canada so I have a large indoor setup because our summers are short .. ya I agree, too many critters outside to bother risking it, as much as I'd love it set up a warm night hide with a light and all that I don't see myself risking it. Oh well, no biggie, I'm still pumped about making a nice outdoor enclosure and constantly scanning this forum for pics and ideas!! :) I was really racking my brain over how to build a lid so this thread is great! I'd love to see more pics of peoples outdoor enclosures with lids!

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I attached a piece of my Hermanns lid. My wonderful husband built her a great enclosure. The lid was 3 separate parts, of wiring attached to wood frames.
My big problem was the weight of the wood, to change things and get in and garden.
He needed to remove the the middle one and just secure chicken wire n the sides.
This spring he will make changes.
Make sure your lids are easy for you to manage.
I think my husband was keeping bears out. :D:D

I will share some of your good ideas with him.[/i]

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
lynnedit said:
Or, create a wood or rubbermaid hide on one end, with a floor, (heated if needed), that can be locked up so you can secure your tort in that at night and let him out in the am.

I like the night time lock box idea and have decided to go that route vs. entire enclosure lids...i think..

I assumed i would need an open bottom so they can dig into the dirt.
But i should make it solid?
would i want to make a bottom that can hold 6"or so of dirt in it?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I guess it depends on your temps. Leopards need warmer temps that Med torts, of course.

I wonder if it would work to have a 4x2 box (for example), with one side slightly elevated, wood, and the other side soil?
That way, your tort could pick and choose. Once the tort is a bigger adult, you might even be able to use a small pig blanket (which are not supposed to be buried, so torts just rest on them) on the wood side. Along with heat from the top, both on thermostats.
I have an outside hide box with heat cable running around the sides, about 3 rows, and a small amount under galvanized wire on 1/3 of the floor. The floor is then covered with pea gravel and then aspen. Box is well insulated including the floor. On a thermostat.
This is for a Russian, but not sure you would need to go to these lengths for a leopard tort in So Cal?

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Here is the pen I made for my baby sulcata. We had two dogs in the yard and wanted to keep them out. Not that the dogs would hurt him, they would use his pen for their toilet. Plus we have hawks (Coopers and Red Tail), possum, rats, raccoons, and cats. The box you see is heated and insulated. It is off the ground several inches so when it does rain in So Cal it wont get the floor wet.
IMAG1817.jpg

Now that he is bigger, weighs almost 20 pounds, we are not concerned about hawks and the dogs are so old they can't jump into his new pen, the same box is used as a night box that we close up and lock each night. We still have raccons vist the yard as well as rats, skunks, and possum. It is a byproduct of having so many fruit trees. The heater is on a thermostat so that the temp can be kept at a comfortable level.
2012-10-10_11-06-44_162.jpg

I made the box using an example from some of Tom's post. They are easy to build and I am glad because I am going to build another one in the next couple of months. Chuck has grown so much that he wont be able to get through the door of this one.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
dizisdalife, thanks for the examples :)

lynnedit said:
I guess it depends on your temps. Leopards need warmer temps that Med torts, of course.

I wonder if it would work to have a 4x2 box (for example), with one side slightly elevated, wood, and the other side soil?
That way, your tort could pick and choose. Once the tort is a bigger adult, you might even be able to use a small pig blanket (which are not supposed to be buried, so torts just rest on them) on the wood side. Along with heat from the top, both on thermostats.
I have an outside hide box with heat cable running around the sides, about 3 rows, and a small amount under galvanized wire on 1/3 of the floor. The floor is then covered with pea gravel and then aspen. Box is well insulated including the floor. On a thermostat.
This is for a Russian, but not sure you would need to go to these lengths for a leopard tort in So Cal?

My leopard is still small and comes in every evening. I'll keep it so that he comes into a humid enclosure every night until he is at least 8-10". So an outside lock box isn't a concern for me with the leopard, yet.

I have decided to use the 20'x6' pen for the Russian(s). I'm starting with one but eventually may try to add more and chose this pen so it could be divided if/when needed.

This pen has 2 trees in it so we officially decided we will not make an entire lid cover. I like the look of open pens so it works out well for me.

I now want to make sure I create the safest night time lock box while still providing for the needs of a Russian living outdoors here in so cal.

To get better input on night boxes I'll start a new thread based on that.

Thanks everyone for tips and ideas in aiding me to make a decision!

Status
Not open for further replies.