Librarian Looking for Tortoise-Keeping Manuals/Guides

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
My library is currently updating their nonfiction collection, replacing some old pet books and specifically asked me about tortoise-keeping manuals. I have not done as much extensive research on this subject as I've personally wanted to yet, but I do know that A.C. Highfield has written some fairly good books that from as much as I've heard on this forum so far, most of his information is still fairly up-to-date. If I'm incorrect on this, please let me know. The problem with Highfield's books is that, I believe, most if not all of them are out-of-print, expensive, and difficult to acquire. Unfortunately, I'm not at home at the moment to go through my own books, but I also have Russian Tortoises by Edward Pirog (TFH Publications) that is a small but fairly current edition (to the best of my recollection). The biggest problem I've seen is a lack of one or a few good sources; most information we keepers pass on is a webpage of text (i.e., care sheets). Many of the nonprofit turtle and tortoise organizations out there do not sell or suggest a particular keeper's manual to new owners (at least I am not seeing them advertising it on their websites).

I searched the forum here and found numerous threads regarding requests for tort-keeping manuals; many people seemed interested in finding a species-specific reference manual. Since I've not had the time to sort through all of these threads, I don't know if anyone has been keeping track of this niche in publishing. Can anyone suggest some credible general turtle/tortoise-keeping books that would be a worthy addition for a suburban public library?

In a quick Amazon search, the librarian found an Idiot's Guide to turtles/tortoises as well as some species-specific editions from "Ben Team", neither or which I'm personally familiar with. If there's anything you see on Amazon that might be suitable, please let me know. Thanks in advance! :tort:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=tortoise+manual&ref=nb_sb_noss

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There are no good books unfortunately. All the ones that I know of parrot the same old wrong info. Highfield in particular calls using humidity a "red herring" and equates people who use the methods successfully to people who believe in UFOs. His books are good for kindling if you need to make a fire.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
There are no good books unfortunately. All the ones that I know of parrot the same old wrong info. Highfield in particular calls using humidity a "red herring" and equates people who use the methods successfully to people who believe in UFOs. His books are good for kindling if you need to make a fire.
Oh bummer. I was hoping some of Highfield's content was worthy of a look. I was afraid that were no really suitable books. Someone here on the forum should step it up... :rolleyes: Do we have any authors out there?

Thanks again for your invaluable insight, @Tom!! :tort:

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
Unfortunately, I will buy any cheap tortoise book I randomly find for bathroom reading. I never expect quality content per se .
Look up the chelonian library vol 1 - 4
The Essentials of Tortoise Medicine and Surgery

Very spendy!!!! Awesome stuff here!

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I have Redfoots & Yellowfoots by Amanda Ebenhack, and Turtles & Tortoises for DUMMIES by Liz Palika that I can donate.Both books are in almost new condition. Just need an address to ship to. The Amanda Ebenhack is a good book even though it's from 2009. The Liz Palika book has good information, but the captive housing of some animals is outdated.

Diane Berner

5 Year Member
The Redfoot Manual by Mike Pingleton is a good source of information on this type of tortoise.

Claireabella1973

Nottinghamshire
My library is currently updating their nonfiction collection, replacing some old pet books and specifically asked me about tortoise-keeping manuals. I have not done as much extensive research on this subject as I've personally wanted to yet, but I do know that A.C. Highfield has written some fairly good books that from as much as I've heard on this forum so far, most of his information is still fairly up-to-date. If I'm incorrect on this, please let me know. The problem with Highfield's books is that, I believe, most if not all of them are out-of-print, expensive, and difficult to acquire. Unfortunately, I'm not at home at the moment to go through my own books, but I also have Russian Tortoises by Edward Pirog (TFH Publications) that is a small but fairly current edition (to the best of my recollection). The biggest problem I've seen is a lack of one or a few good sources; most information we keepers pass on is a webpage of text (i.e., care sheets). Many of the nonprofit turtle and tortoise organizations out there do not sell or suggest a particular keeper's manual to new owners (at least I am not seeing them advertising it on their websites).

I searched the forum here and found numerous threads regarding requests for tort-keeping manuals; many people seemed interested in finding a species-specific reference manual. Since I've not had the time to sort through all of these threads, I don't know if anyone has been keeping track of this niche in publishing. Can anyone suggest some credible general turtle/tortoise-keeping books that would be a worthy addition for a suburban public library?

In a quick Amazon search, the librarian found an Idiot's Guide to turtles/tortoises as well as some species-specific editions from "Ben Team", neither or which I'm personally familiar with. If there's anything you see on Amazon that might be suitable, please let me know. Thanks in advance! :tort:

Hello, books are useless and very misleading! Please may I recommend you join tortoise addicts and tortoise plant addicts groups?! They are absolutely amazing!!!! U can find them if u search on FB!!!! Wishing you all the best! I promise,you won't be disappointed!! Xx

bluewolf

Melbourne Florida
This sounds great. I just got my first tortoise who is a baby Red Footed. I only have about 3 red foot books, the dummy book so far but think coming up with lists from each of us would be helpful.

I like ‘the red foot manual’ by Mike pingleton best
so far. I found ‘red footed tortoise’ by Ben Team but is much briefer and very few pictures.

good luck

Professor Brenda

Pflugerville, Texas
Oh bummer. I was hoping some of Highfield's content was worthy of a look. I was afraid that were no really suitable books. Someone here on the forum should step it up... :rolleyes: Do we have any authors out there?

Thanks again for your invaluable insight, @Tom!! :tort:
I have actually thought I would love to write a book on sulcatas from information gathered from the sources/ people here on this forum. You wonderful experts could send me the info that I compile into a worthwhile book. I would love to do it but I am not an expert.

Regarding books that do exist and are not pipe dreams in my head, I recently bought the Box Turtle Manual by P Vosjoli and R Klingenberg. SO far I like it. Very small book.

I also have Turtles in the US and Canada by Lovich and Ernst $80. That one is more of a herpetology textbook.

I thought Ben Team’s book Sulcata Tortoise Pet Owner’s Guide was absolutely useless. Inaccurate information and too vague.

Let me know if y’all want to contribute to a better text. All credit given, of course.

bluewolf

Melbourne Florida
I have actually thought I would love to write a book on sulcatas from information gathered from the sources/ people here on this forum. You wonderful experts could send me the info that I compile into a worthwhile book. I would love to do it but I am not an expert.

Let me know if y’all want to contribute to a better text. All credit given, of course.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello, books are useless and very misleading! Please may I recommend you join tortoise addicts and tortoise plant addicts groups?! They are absolutely amazing!!!! U can find them if u search on FB!!!! Wishing you all the best! I promise,you won't be disappointed!! Xx
I don't know those particular groups, but all the FB groups I've heard of are full of bad info and run by lunatics.