LGBTQ Members?

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Dubai/New York
Hey guys! I came out to all of you recently, but I was wondering if there are any Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans, or Queer (or Questioning) members on the forum.... I know there are a few members here that part of the LGBTQ community, but I was just wondering because maybe we could chat. Anyways, thanks for being such a great and wonderful community.

P.S. I don't think this violates our forum's guidelines.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I know this thread exists, but the thread was shut down, and it was posted a while ago.... I also wanted to see members that are active right now.... Sorry if it's annoying or anything....

You have nothing to be sorry about, it's/you are not annoying. I think it's great that you found this forum to be a safe place for you to be you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sorry if it's annoying or anything....

With all due respect to all forum members, I don't think this is the place to discuss matters such as this. We have many younger members and TFO is not the place for them to be learning about such things.

For the record, I am not anti-gay. I am also not anti-straigt. I am anti-discussing-adult-matters in full view of children.

I ask that this sort of thing, regardless of orientation, be taken to private conversations, or to email, or to adult websites that are more appropriate for this sort of discussion.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
With all due respect to all forum members, I don't think this is the place to discuss matters such as this. We have many younger members and TFO is not the place for them to be learning about such things.

For the record, I am not anti-gay. I am also not anti-straigt. I am anti-discussing-adult-matters in full view of children.

I ask that this sort of thing, regardless of orientation, be taken to private conversations, or to email, or to adult websites that are more appropriate for this sort of discussion.
I respect your opinion, but I just don't understand why sexual orientation is an "adult matter".... That doesn't really matter right now, since it doesn't really violate forum rules.... I was just asking about LGBTQ members and I'll PM them anything I want to discuss with them... Thanks for sharing your opinion and thanks again for being such a valuable member. :)

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
I respect your opinion, but I just don't understand why sexual orientation is an "adult matter".... That doesn't really matter right now, since it doesn't really violate forum rules.... I was just asking about LGBTQ members and I'll PM them anything I want to discuss with them... Thanks for sharing your opinion and thanks again for being such a valuable member. :)
Note: I don't mind if this thread goes a little out of topic.... I just don't want it to be a "being gay is wrong" sort of debate.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think Tom said it on the other thread - I don't go around expressing my heterosexuality, so why should the LGBTQ community feel they have to express theirs?

In my opinion, if anyone wishes to know another members sexuality he can ask that other members contact him through PM. I'm for closing this thread and letting it drop.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
I think Tom said it on the other thread - I don't go around expressing my heterosexuality, so why should the LGBTQ community feel they have to express theirs?

In my opinion, if anyone wishes to know another members sexuality he can ask that other members contact him through PM. I'm for closing this thread and letting it drop.
Yvonne, it's just hard being the minority in a really homophobic and hateful environment... I can't go around asking members about their sexuality via PM.... And I thought maybe I could ask around and find some more people who are just like me, and then PM them... It's hard to explain it to you guys, but sometimes living where society thinks you're sick and wrong makes you want to be with people who are like you....

Edit- Also, if we drop this thread and ask people to PM me, won't this thread receive less attention? So wouldn't it be more efficient to leave the thread on?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Yvonne, it's just hard being the minority in a really homophobic and hateful environment... I can't go around asking members about their sexuality via PM.... And I thought maybe I could ask around and find some more people who are just like me, and then PM them... It's hard to explain it to you guys, but sometimes living where society thinks you're sick and wrong makes you want to be with people who are like you....
I understand why you would be interested to find other people "like you. I did a thread a while back asking if there were any blind members and I did hear from a couple of them. They pm'd me. And I do understand that saying I am blind is not, I hope :), a controversial or personal topic. I looked at it more like "is there anybody from Washington state out there?". But sexual orientation, along with other topics like religion and politics, will inevitably lead to debates and controversy. Starting a religion or politics thread wouldn't be right either in my opinion. I hope I am not sounding insulting by saying this cause it is not my intention.
Moderators, would it be appropriate to leave the thread but put a statement on it to p.m. the person. And then lock it like you do for sale threads. That way it is private for all concerned. Just an idea.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I think the best way to go about it is beyond saying hi my name is so and so and I am X the conversation should go private qfter that.just my thoughts.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth

Except you do. You've spoken about your late husband, children, grandchildren. So has Tom. I doubt you thought twice about it.

I don't think anyone was planning on being graphic or explicit so I don't see how it would be inappropriate.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Except you do. You've spoken about your late husband, children, grandchildren. So has Tom. I doubt you thought twice about it.

I don't think anyone was planning on being graphic or explicit so I don't see how it would be inappropriate.
You can have all those without being heterosexual.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York

I don't think there's anything inappropriate with saying: "I am attracted to this gender."...

Also, why wouldn't children be able to look at this thread? I think a child who is able to browse the forum, properly take care of a tortoise, and can use the forum properly is smart enough to understand that not everyone is attracted to the opposite gender. There isn't anything dirty, wrong, or inappropriate about it.

That's just my opinion..... I'm not trying to offend anyone.

Edit- for example, in the Netherlands, children are taught about sexual orientation and contraceptives at age 11.... I don't children are a problem for this thread....

Last edited by a moderator:

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Us heterosexuals take what we express, do, say, and insinuate for granted and express these things without thinking twice.

I honestly feel closing this thread is censoring and exactly why someone of the LGBTQ community feel like they stand on the outskirts.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Personally, i think it's great to be able to post here and that hopefully other members will see it and go to PM with Abdulla, or others.
Maybe they won't all want to discuss it on a public thread like this, anyway.
There should be no debate here, just a place for people to post that they are a part of this community, if they want , or take it privately to PM, or just ignore it.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Here is the problem as I see it. In these type of discussions people take sides pro or con. Then they start saying why they feel this way,then the insults start. It has happened before which is why certain topics were banished

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Personally, i think it's great to be able to post here and that hopefully other members will see it and go to PM with Abdulla, or others.
Maybe they won't all want to discuss it on a public thread like this, anyway.
There should be no debate here, just a place for people to post that they are a part of this community, if they want , or take it privately to PM, or just ignore it.

I totally agree with this, and that's what I meant in my post. Ab has professed an interest in knowing other lgt or whatever members, and now they can PM him. But this thread has people talking about whether the thread is right or wrong, or if lgbtq people are accepted or not, and talking all around the original intent of the thread. In my opinion, if we, myself included, are not an lgbtq person, we should NOT have responded to the thread. The same way if I don't know how to care for a certain type of turtle or tortoise I should not respond to the thread.