Levi's (scary) Adventure (...ohh and hi guys)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Columbia, SC
Ok so I feel like I've been incommunicado forever. CLMoss emailed me the other week to ask after me and the new baby SL stars (which are fine and beautiful I'll give them a post soon!). I've just been swamped with my last semester of undergrad and now I have mono on top of everything else so who knows what I'll manage to get done after all...anyway I promised Claudia star pics this weekend but I ended up visiting my parents and had a prolonged emotional heart attack. I had the sulcatas out in my parents pool yard eating and a bug flew in my eye and in the 3 minutes it took me to run inside and wash out the fiery burn Levi had cut fence and legged it (luckily the little ones arent quite as aware as he is yet because they stayed put).

This was Thursday night, picture 4 days of panic and self recriminations while I searched every inch of that pool area.Then Sunday night, just as I was planning out the LOST posters in my head, my visiting Aunt goes "Oh look at the turtle" (my mom and I both stood up from the table and screamed "where?!" ;)) and there he was trucking across the garden (outside of the pool fence, of course) taking his pick of my Dad's freshly sprouted greens. Cheeky bugger didn't even have to stop being a picky eater during his 4 days roughing it.

He didn't come out quite unscathed though, his front left marginal scute is stripped....i dont know if one of the dogs tried to play ball with him or what but its just that one spot and it looks like his shell has been scraped to the bone. Should I put neosporin or some sort of antibiotic on it? anyone know of any complications that could arise? He seems fine otherwise, a little annoyed at being confined again maybe, but he's eating fine and his poops look normal, just some extra uriates.

....sorry I had pics but I cant figure out how to upload them onto my computer from my girlfriends camera, I'll try again tomorrow and add them in a comment.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Soooooo glad a happy outcome :D I if his shell is scratched up and down to the shell if there is no blood or breaks apparent on the shell I would say to be sure to soak every day for a week or two...this allows you a close up peek to make sure no injury got past you as well as offering refill of hydration..he likely lost some fluids while his trauma occurred....

I don't think any ointments should be required if no blood or breaks in the shell...just figure he has some war stories and the cool guy scars to prove it....:D

Again, so very happy you recovered the rufian....:p

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Thanks! I've been keeping a close eye on it and he still gets daily soaks normally, it just looks like scuffed shell no actual breaks in the skin...I'm so relieved he's home, I can tell you he'll never be out of my sight when he's not locked up tight again.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
WooHoo for the happy ending. Glad he's okay.

Hope you feel better soon...

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
It never ceases to amaze me how those little scamps know the second we stop watching them and take off. Then they are also so good at that turning invisible or a rock act, that we can look right at them and still not see them. Plus, I wonder who was it that coined turtles and tortoises as being slllooooowwww? Certainly not somebody who has ever been around those speed demons. :D Glad your story ended up being a happy one. Now get well!

Status
Not open for further replies.