Lettuce Necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

twotortmomma

5 Year Member
I am just wondering, Is it necessary to provide lettuce to torts? I have seen on here almost every diet list that isnt 100% graze includes lettuce. I just bought a big bag of collards, turnips, mustard, etc. mix. It has no lettuce at all. I also use the ZooMed brand grassland pellets. Now, the reason I ask, is that I have a russian and I have read that since russians have a propensity to get fat, and since, in their natural environment, not every plant they happen upon is packed with vitamins and calcium, they should have lettuce as part of the diet at all times so they dont get fat. Is this true? IE should I go get a bag of spring mix to mix with the other veg? I dont always get the same food, i mix between spring mix, herb salad, and other sorts like tha, I just happened upon this new mix with ZERO lettuce and now Im wondering if thats okay to feed until its time to get a new bag.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I really doubt there are many tortoises out in the real world who find lettuce in their wanderings. No, lettuce isn't mandatory in a tortoise's diet.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No, you don't need to get any lettuce. Feed what you have and if you want switch it up next time and get some with lettuce, like the spring mix.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Sounds like you found a good mix. Like the rest said, you do not have to feed lettuce. Plus there are a lot of lettuce like greens, that are not called lettuce.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Its probably better not to feed lettuce. Romaine lettuce, iceberg lettuce, green-leaf lettuce, none of it is good. The only thing in lettuce is water and fiber, there is almost no nutrients, and iceberg lettuce can actually dehydrate tortoises somewhat. Romaine and green-leaf you CAN feed, but it has no nutrition, so why feed it to them? Stick to leafy greens like mustard, collard, and turnips.

Status
Not open for further replies.