Letting my tortoise live on sand

Status
Not open for further replies.

jinmin17

5 Year Member
Hello, I let my two star tortoise live on sand. I bought it in an aquarium. The owner told me it is fish sand and is possible to use for tortoise also.

I see my tortoise getting dirty everyday from the sand and eat his Ladyfingers with the sand. I am wondering will he eat the sand and cause him to be sick? or will sand go into his eyes?

Please advise and wether i should change his ground to something else.

I do not know how old are they, they are only about 5cm. Do anyone have any ideas? Below attached is the photo of them and the sand.

Please guide me about the white spot on one of my tortoise shell on the left.

Attachments

• DSCF70111.jpg
    DSCF70111.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 118

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Some people do it and get away with it, but I personally don't like it. There is a risk of impaction, eye problems and a few other things too.

Most of us prefer cypress mulch, coco fiber, orchid bark, clean soil or some combination of these.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't like to use sand because of the danger of them becoming impacted if they should eat it.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I agree with Roachman and Yvonne. I used to use sand mixed with organic potting soil and other ingredients as a substrate for young tortoises. I was constantly finding sand stuck to tthem, especially around their eyes and mouth. I did not see any direct problems because of the sand, but I also saw no real benefit of sand as part of the substrate either. Sand has very good heat retention, but so do larger rocks that cannot be ingested. Other materials provide much better moisture retention and a more solid footing.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Another example of the danger of visiting and/or listening to pet stores!

One of the worst things to keep young'ins on!!!

Terry K

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
well, for my star hatchling i just use moist paper towels for them to walk on. it gets the job done and keeps humidity pretty well for my star. i dont have to worry about him digesting anything that could cause problems.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I am a novice tortoise keeper myself, but I have read a lot of posts on this forum about ill Star tortoises. You may want to protect your investment in these adorable babies by making sure they're on the healthiest substrate you can provide.

jinmin17

5 Year Member
I am wondering if I buy small stones and place them in it. Do you think it will be better for them?
Is it advisable to bath them every night with warm water?

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I am new to Stars and definitely not an expert, but I have been keeping mine on 50% coconut coir and 50% play sand. So far it's been working really well. I also put mine in warm water at least every other day (in their water dish - they can climb out when they want to.) Hope this was somewhat helpful for you! :)

samstar

5 Year Member
I use felt type repltile carpet which is easy to clean and still looks good. Off course I also have fake plants(boston fern), rocks and huts for them in the enclosure.

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
I don't have Stars, but I use a mixture of sand/coco coir. About 70% coir, and 30% sand. It works well for me.

jinmin17

5 Year Member
jobeanator said:
well, for my star hatchling i just use moist paper towels for them to walk on. it gets the job done and keeps humidity pretty well for my star. i dont have to worry about him digesting anything that could cause problems.

Thanks for yr help. I m wondering how about plastic floor mat for them? Those soft kind. In this way they will not get dirty too right?

samstar

5 Year Member
jinmin17 said:
jobeanator said:

Thanks for yr help. I m wondering how about plastic floor mat for them? Those soft kind. In this way they will not get dirty too right?

Not the best but sure it wont kill.

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
A plastic floor mat is not going to hold any humidity. You need to think about whats best for the tortoise, not most convenient for you. If you go with the floor mat, which doesn't sound like such a good idea, you need another way to keep the humidity up. A humid hide, covering half of the enclosure, and fake plants work well..there are many ways. Just search around in the Enclosure section of the forum and you'll see lots of pictures.

M

Maggie Cummings

I agree with Sammi and the rest. Sand is not good for tortoises. I recommend cypress mulch or coir. You need to do what is best for the tortoise not what is easiest for you...

Starry night

5 Year Member
Or you can do what JWI from kingsnake told me to do. Keep them on clay cat litter. Sound like that would work great huh! NOT! People, stay away from that guy.

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
well, my star is still a hatchling hes only a couple months old. i mist the paper towels to keep humidity around 50-60%. he seems to not mind the paper towels. when he gets older i will change his bedding to cypress mulch.

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Shredded aspen works well also and will pass right through their system if by chance they do eat it. I raise my babies on Kraft dimpled paper. It is I think 60 pound super heavy and you can buy it precut or in rolls that you cut yourself. Because of the dimples it gives them something to grab a hold of with their toenails. I can change it twice a week and that is adequate, easy and sterile. I like all of those aspects of it. I have known more than a few people that have lost tortoises (stars included) from sand impaction. Best wishes.

jinmin17

5 Year Member
Hello guys, I letting my tortoise live on a bag of recycled paper that I bought from the pet shop. It is paper substrate and help to absorb the poop and pee.. any advise?

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have know a fair number of people that have used it with no problem. I have always worried that it would not offer much traction if it packs then I am sure it will be fine as it will pass if they eat it.

Status
Not open for further replies.