lethargic, no appetite

symplestytches

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pacific NorthWest, USA
This past week or so, Atu's appetite has wanted, and now he refused to eat his dinner and even refused bell pepper, which he loves and only gets as a treat one ever few months. Details:

- Uva/uvb bulb, heat at standard levels (90 on hot side, room temp on other side, we live in western washington)
- 2'x4' tortoise table
- Substrate a bit on dry side, been slacking on the re-hydrating, i'll admit.
- Gets 2 large leaves of romaine, torn into large chunks and sprinkled with TNT.
- Usually gobbles his food down and is very active, this week he is very lethargic and not hungry at all.
- I will admit, he hasn't been getting his baths as regularly as he should, about once every few weeks.
- Got to go outside on the grass three weeks ago and enjoy the sunlight, didn't eat anything outside though.
- weight is 430g as of this morning.
- no discharge from eyes, nose, no gasping or bubbling while breathing, although last night he stretched his - neck out a couple times to gulp some air.
- all limbs seem to be functioning normally.

We have an appt tomorrow morning to see a herp vet, but wanted to get some input.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I think he may be bored with his enclosure and the warmth of summer may be slowing down his feeding.

I would suggest a larger enclosure, outdoors if it can be done securely from predators.

I would also improve the variety of foods offered. Check to see what healthy weeds are available in your area. If safe weeds are not available, add cactus, radicchio, endive, kale, Belgian endive, grape leaves, mulberry leaves, turnip greens, etc.

Also, what type of UV bulb do you have and how old is it?

Good luck!

symplestytches

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWest, USA
bored?!?! I can't let him be bored.... he's never been this bored before though.... I will look into rearranging his enclosure and giving him more "out" time. we live in a condo, and only have a balcony, so I don't have a way to provide an outdoor enclosure.... unless I build an outdoor tortoise table. I should look into that. he'd only go out on the nice days though, unless I could find a way to protect it from all the rain we get.

and I do have empty fields next to our condo that I could harvest healthy weeds. I should look into that today after work, or tomorrow morning. He used to get the spring mix of veggies from the grocery, but they have been filling it more and more with spinach leaves, which he refuses to eat. it would have radicchio in it sometimes, which he absolutely loves.

the UV bulb I have is a standard UVA basking bulb, only a couple months old. we tried the more expensive UVA/UVB bulbs, but it kept burning out super quickly! and I know I made sure to get the right ceramic lighting fixture for it, so I don't know what's up with that. he is situated by a window, so gets a tiny bit of natural light, but probably not enough. any ideas on a more affordable solution?

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Most of the better UV bulbs have a 1 year warranty. They also have a over heat protection feature; if they get too hot the bulb will shut off and remain off for about 30 minutes and then turn back on. So, the bulbs you thought were burned out may not have been.

Search the forum for the Zoo med brand of bulbs. I would advise against the compact coil type uv bulbs due to possible eye issues.

The sunlight coming thru the window will be filtered bu the glass and thus eliminating most of the beneficial UV rays.

Good luck.

symplestytches

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWest, USA
good to know! I don't think the packaging on the ones I purchased from the store ever mentioned that safety feature. I'm conversing with my husband about setting up an outdoor play area for him so he can go out and get natural lighting as much as possible. probably just a kiddie pool with a screen over it with shady spots or something, so that the local birds to try to eat him. we have lots of hawks and bald eagles in the area.

Also... forgot to mention that I brought him with me to work, since I can't stay home with him to monitor behavior, and he still isn't touching any of the food offerings and is sitting in the corner of his emergency/quarantine bin farthest away from the light. here's a pic of his current mobile setup (I know carrots aren't good for him, but he never gets them except at christmas and on his birthday, they're one of his favorites, and he won't touch them. that's why I think he's sick!):
IMG_20140627_102744.jpg

thanks for all your advice and input!

symplestytches

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWest, USA
so for kicks I stuck him in the planter tray of water. he just sat there and didn't move for like an hour. took him out and he immediately pooped and pottied! hurray! at least there is output even if there has been no input for the past 24 hours!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't think boredom has anything to do with it, but I do think this tortoise needs to go outside into a safe, well-planted habitat. You need to figure something for him out soon or you're going to have a pretty sick tortoise on your hands. Some tortoises just don't do well indoors.

1028762jld543t69m.gif

symplestytches

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWest, USA
I live in a condo without a safe outdoor space to set up right now. In about a year we will be in a house and I plan to build a proper outdoor enclosure for summer use, it's so wet in the PNW that I don't want to leave him out year around. We are taking him to the vet tomorrow so hopefully they can figure out what's wrong. We have had him for 5 years in his indoor setup of a custom built tortoise table, and will eventually build a bigger better one when we have the space for it.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Do you think you would be able to set up a kiddie pool for him on the balcony, with soil in it? The natural sunlight would improve his health immensely. Also, while he is not eating, i would soak him every 2 days in warm water. Dehydration leads to lethargy, and this in turn leads to lack of appetite. A well hydrated tortoise that has access to good UVB will be active.

symplestytches

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWest, USA
I can definitely set a kiddie pool, I was just talking to my husband about doing an outdoor enclosure for the few dry days we have here. I even have a Rubbermaid container that might work, just gotta provide shade spots and a screen

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The bigger the better. The kiddie pool is a great idea and they're pretty cheap.

1028762jld543t69m.gif

M

Maggie Cummings

Meanwhile, soak him daily in baby food carrots. That way he will get some nutrition while you figure out what's going on. Is he warm enough? Get that kiddie pool set up this weekend, then buy a sheet of cheap lattice and use that to protect him from predators. He should be put out in the sun as often as possible. That is if we ever get sun again. Make sure his basking spot is 80 to 85 degrees. Cool side is 75. You can make the kiddie pool a pretty cool place for him, provide shade and a hide and water and a way to get out of the rain and maybe he can stay out all day. Don't forget plants and substrate. Soak him at least every other day, daily for now tho, but never go as long as you've said you did. Soaking is really important...

symplestytches

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWest, USA
We are going to get his pool set up this weekend definitely. I will also drill some holes in it for drainage of water. He got a soak this morning, another around lunch time and will get a soaking tonight. For the next week or so I will be doing it every night, and have set a reminder on my phone for wryly soaks and weigh-ins.

Also update: when we got home from work, we put him back in his main pen and he started eating right away! I'm so happy!

He is still going to the vet tomorrow though.

symplestytches

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWest, USA
Went to the vet on Saturday, ran some tests, and had a beak trimming. Vet administered oral medication as he tested positive for some type of protozoan in his feces, forgot to ask which one specifically and the invoice doesn't specify which med, I'm assuming panacur, since that's what he was given before. They also injected him with a does of Ceftazidime, and I get the wonderful duty of administering this medication at home every three days for 8 more doses. We also have to go back once a week for the next three weeks for more rounds of the oral medication, as he was very stubborn on getting his mouth open for the meds. We are still waiting for the results on the Mycoplasma test, which can talk 5-8 business days to get the results I guess. if this comes back showing more than minor inflammation then more testing to be done (Serum Chemistry test).

Last night we soaked him for 30 minutes in the sink with some orchard grass pellets that disintegrated into the water so he would ingest some nutrience when he drank. will do so again every night until he starts eating on his own again. He drinks water when soaking, and pees, but still hasn't eaten anything since the vet visit Saturday. Could just be the stress and the meds?

Right now, since he tested positive for those parasites, he is in the quarantine bin with no dirt, just a towel and his log and dishes, so that I can sanitize things as he poos and pees and it. will be changing out all the substrate in his table and santizing everything in there after we get the all clear from the vet about those yucky bugs.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
I am so glad to hear you took him to the vet, and that he's getting treatment for the protozoans he has. I bet he'll be back to normal before you know it. You are doing exactly the right thing soaking daily to help keep him hydrated. The meds do stress their organs somewhat, so hydration is key.

I am curious why the vet is treating with ceftadizime - was there any apparent infection that needed antiobiotics?

symplestytches

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWest, USA
Oh, yeah, I totally forgot until you mentioned it, but the Dr did listen to his lungs and said they are abnormally loud, and had noticed that his nostrils are not level with each other and one was noticeably smaller than the other, so thought he might have a URI or had one at some point, so while we waited on results from one of the tests to go ahead and start with that med too.

mr. Binks

5 Year Member
I hope he's okay and I live in western Washington too in northbend!

symplestytches

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWest, USA
Another Update: Mycoplasma test results came back positive. Vet said that due to the result from the blood work earlier and the noisy lungs, that he definitely has a URI. Also said that this means he will have URI's off and on for the rest of his life and that all we can do is try to make him comfortable with antibiotics during the flare-ups and that the type and form of medication will vary depending on what symptoms he exhibits? does that sound about right anyone?

p.s. - was this my fault?!?!?!

symplestytches

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWest, USA
finally, one more question: since Atu has tested positive for Mycoplasma, would it be wiser not to get another tortoise while he is still living? I understand that means I might never get another one, but I had my heart set on getting a sulcata one day in the future...